lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-03-2014, 05:26 PM   #1
nstump1
Not Yet Wild

Default 2000 pds contoller / switch / direction ruining my weekend

I am trying to help a friend out with his early 2000 36v pds, this is one of the ones that has the older style forward reverse lever by the driver's right knee. It came to me with no reverse and the buzzer wouldn't turn on either. My friend also said that it would occasionally beep and come to a stop, although I couldn't replicate this issue. After checking batteries, wiring, and resistances of the motor I took a smell of the controller with smelled burnt. I had him order a remanufactured unit from flight systems. Once installed, the reverse buzzer would come on in either reverse or forward, the wheels would only turn backwards, and smoke came out of the controller. Feeling this must be a fluke I pulled the controller from my 2008 pds and tried again. As soon as power was applied I saw smoke and aborted. When I reinstalled the controller in my 2008 it only goes in reverse, no matter the position of the rocker switch and the buzzer is on in both directions. So the 2000 system must not be compatible with the newer contoller despite the model numbers exchanging? Is there something left to test? Any help appreciated.
nstump1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-03-2014, 05:49 PM   #2
crash test dummy

Default Re: 2000 pds contoller / switch / direction ruining my weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstump1 View Post
As soon as power was applied I saw smoke
oh no !! smoke no good .. time for new controllers

more than likely you miss wired the first controller and then fried yours in his cart
Old 07-03-2014, 05:55 PM   #3
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Ask your friend if he made any changes to the wiring before it killed three controllers.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 05:57 PM   #4
nstump1
Not Yet Wild

After the first one didn't work I triple checked every thing before applying power.
Old 07-03-2014, 06:02 PM   #5
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Did you have the run/tow switch in tow while wiring up the re-manufactured one and yours?
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 06:03 PM   #6
nstump1
Not Yet Wild

He told me nothing was changed from the time he bought it about a year ago. I chased all the battery and motor leads back to where they belong and found nothing.
Old 07-03-2014, 06:05 PM   #7
nstump1
Not Yet Wild

I had battery pack disconnected and in tow mode. Last thing before turning switch on was run mode switch.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:46 PM   #8
nstump1
Not Yet Wild

Could an issue with the forward reverse switch cause these problems?
Old 07-04-2014, 09:51 AM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

There is something different about the control wiring in the early 2000PDS with the DCS type F/R switch, but I don't know what it is.

What is the part number on the controller originally in the 2000 cart?

Your 2008 probably had 73326-G07 (at least mine did) and I suspect the 2000 had a 73326-G01.
Another poster with a 2000PDS with the dash mounted F/R had a 73326-G02, so that makes me wonder is the 73326-G01 was different than the subsequent revisions.

With the dash mounted F/R, the controller supplies voltage to the Common terminal of F/R switch (SPDT- center off rocker switch) via J1Pin-1 and when F is selected, voltage is sent to J1 Pin-3, and when R is selected, voltage is sent to J1 Pin-2.

On the other hand, the DCS type F/R switch in a DCS cart, had two microswitches actuated by a cam the direction selector moved. The contacts in one microswitch was closed when the direction selector was in either F or R and the contacts in the other microswitch were closed only when in R. Those microswitches received battery voltage via the Run/Tow switch rather than from the controller.

The two types of F/R switches are very different, so what did EZGO do to get a DCS type F/R switch tell a PDS controller with direction to go. The microswitches could have been wired differently, The cam in the F/R switch could be different physically, the control wiring harness could be different electrically, or the way the controller worked (and J1 was wired) could be different. Or some combination thereof.

This is pure speculation since I have yet to find a schematic or wiring diagram of a 2000PDS with a DCS type F/R switch, but I suspect that a 73326-G01 is electrically different (J1 wiring) than later versions and the later version self-destruct when the control wiring harness from the early 2000PDS is plugged into them.

-------------
If at all possible, I would love to see pictures of the J1 wiring harness plug in the 2000PDS cart. Specifically the color of the wires going to each of the 10 pins. (In fact, pictures of everything the control wiring harness connects to.)

I would also love to know if the microswitches on the F/R assembly get voltage from the controller or elsewhere.

Basically, I want to find out how the DCS type F/R switch tells the PDS type controller to go into F and go into R modes of operation.

-----------
Back to the problems with the carts.

The 2008 needs a controller. Probably okay other than that.

The 2000 needs a controller and has other issues:

The beeping and stopping is probably a loose connection in the control wiring. Momentary loss of any of the voltages tell the controller to go will put it into an emergency stop mode. (Beeping and max regen braking)

Might have a bad motor.
Might have F1/F2 cables with insulation worn through where they are routed around battery frame.

If the G01 version of the controller is different, you may have a problem finding a replacement for it. The solution would be to install a dash mount F/R switch and matching control wiring harness so a later version or aftermarket controller can be used.

(If this is done, I'd love to lay my hands on the original wiring harness and F/R switch so I could figure out how EZGO made it work.)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 10:32 AM   #10
nstump1
Not Yet Wild

The part number ends in "-02A"

Thank you for all the knowledge

Tags
controller, early 2000 pds, no reverse, smoke
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO