lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha > Lithium Yamaha

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-13-2020, 04:16 PM   #11
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Default Re: 1986 Yamaha Sun Classic Lithium Conversion Help

I must say, it is a neat little cart though. I would freshen it up and enjoy it as it is.
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-13-2020, 06:59 PM   #12
lithiumsupplement
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Hey everyone, I really appreciate your insights. The specs I had were clearly too agressive, and not appropriate for the cart. Now I'm thinking that perhaps I'll swap in a 36V lithium battery to reduce weight and keep most everything else the same. Alternatively I could keep everything stock as I have enough projects on my hands. I'll let you know where I land.
lithiumsupplement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 07:25 PM   #13
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by lithiumsupplement View Post
Hey everyone, I really appreciate your insights. The specs I had were clearly too agressive, and not appropriate for the cart. Now I'm thinking that perhaps I'll swap in a 36V lithium battery to reduce weight and keep most everything else the same. Alternatively I could keep everything stock as I have enough projects on my hands. I'll let you know where I land.
Sounds like a reasonable plan. If you decide to sell you will find there is a market for this cart in good condition
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 02:34 AM   #14
lithiumsupplement
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I did a bit of hillbilly science today. I had a 60.8V, 2.6KWH LG Chem battery from a different project. Problem was that battery had a few dead cells, so I somewhat indelicately removed those 3 bad cells, and 2 good cells and got it down to 36V (11 cells, currently low on charge), wired it up with jumper cables and to my surprise it worked.

Happy to report that having lost over 300 pounds in lead the cart was zippy enough to conquer the steepest section of incline near my house without hesitation during my short test.

Now that I know it works I have a few more specific questions...

1. I believe that most 36V carts are designed to handle a little under 39 volts on a full charge. How much higher can I go before I start damaging the controller or motor? I'm debating if I should have a 9s that peaks at 37.8V or a 10s that peaks at 42volts. I could also charge a 10s to a lower voltage, but I'm not sure if that will yield a better outcome.

2. What BMS do you recommend for my situation? Stupid question but can I use a 10s BMS for less than 10 cells? Seems like generally no.

3. It seems trivial to find 10s/42V lithium chargers but 9s/38V appear to be less common.

Anyhow you can see all 3 questions are related. Your help on the 9s vs 10s question would be deeply appreciated.
Old 11-14-2020, 09:12 AM   #15
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Question 1 depends on what controller you have and it's max voltage rating. Do not exceed the max voltage rating even a little. Some BMS have programmed number of cells. Check the specs. Some chargers can be adjusted to lower output voltage. The trick is finding accurate directions on how to do it.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 02:59 PM   #16
lithiumsupplement
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I appreciate the insight. So would you go with a 9s system then? What is your recommendation for a 9s bms and charger? Thanks!

Vlad
Old 11-17-2020, 10:03 AM   #17
lithiumsupplement
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I ended up purchasing a 9s 37.8V BMS from batteryhookup, 9s 37.8V 7A charger from Aliexpress and a dc to dc from aliexpress. It will take a few weeks to arrive but I'll let everyone know how it goes when it's done.
Old 12-14-2020, 05:04 PM   #18
lithiumsupplement
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Update: I got all the parts I needed from AliExpress and overall the cart is running great. Climbs steep hills with the family aboard (not quickly but that's ok) and gets more miles between charges than I need, which is great for a battery with dead cells salvaged from another project. Now I'm trying to finish up the project so I'd love your help:

1) Lights not working: The cart has a positive wire that I hooked up to the 12V+ out of the DC reducer. I can't find a negative 12V wire to connect to the negative end of the reducer. Any ideas?

2) Likely related, but without connecting the DC reducer negative to anything, on only the positive wire, the break lights are on, the running lights are on, the horn and reverse alarm works, and the turning indicators light up but do not blink. Unfortunately the lights and beams do not work. I tested the bulbs directly on the 12V power and they do work, so they are not getting power from the cart.

3) The windshield is pretty scratched up after 35 years of use. Any ideas how where to find a replacement?

As always, your help is very much appreciated!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8125.jpg (783.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8290.jpg (901.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8142.jpg (65.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8293.jpg (735.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-15-2020, 07:54 AM   #19
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Use vehicle "Metal Polish" and either a soft buffer or teri cloth towel. I did that on my ten year old hunting windshield that has been battered and bruised by many tree and brush limbs. It was amazing how clear my windshield came out.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha > Lithium Yamaha