lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-13-2016, 11:09 AM   #1
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Default Towing? '91 Shuttle Beast

Guys,

I recently completed a 48v conversion on a '91 6 person shuttle that was done wiith Carts Unlimited's "Beast" package (700 amp controller, etc.) and full 2 gauge wiring upgrage on the stock series motor. First, the shuttle was doing 11-12 mph it is now doing 16-17 which is exactly where I want to be.

Even better, I am simply shocked by the amount of torque this shuttle now has. Hitting the accelerator, literally, kicks you back in your seat for a moment. This got me to thinking about towing. Occasionally, not that often though, I use an older gas Club Car to tow a small boat about 1/2 mile to a lake in my campground. The boat / trailer are relatively light perhaps at 400-500 pounds. Once a year at Halloween a make hayride for the kids using a standard 5 x 8 utility trailer and also use the Cub Car to tow it. The hayride, with people on it, would be significantly heavier than the boat, maybe half ton? The Club Car pulls it fine, if anything the rear springs and brakes have a tough time with it.

Back to the shuttle:

The shuttle has a very heavy foot rest for the rear passengers that would make mounting a tow ball simple. More so, as the shuttle is designed to carry a lot of weight I would think that the suspension / brakes would be much more conducive to towing.

Any one have any thoughts on towing with the shuttle given the 48v upgrade 2 gauge wiring, and Scotty's "beast" package? Given the torque this thing is putting out right now I suspect it can physically pull a decent load I don't want to harm anything to include the batteries (T875s).

Thanks
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-14-2016, 12:16 PM   #2
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Default Re: Towing? '91 Shuttle Beast

Was it something I said?
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 12:31 PM   #3
Revolution
Voltaholic

Mixed Breed

Your shuttle will most likely pull your boat and your hay ride trailer just fine. I have watched stock carts pull much larger loads than you intend to.

I would keep an eye on motor and controller temps. You shouldn't have any trouble.
Revolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 12:48 PM   #4
mcdave71
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I would think axle hubs and braking ability will be your weak points. Look into doing a disk brake upgrade, this will cover both of those.
mcdave71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 12:48 PM   #5
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

My buddy is using a 36 volt series workhorse with I believe the taller rear gear, like 15 to 1, to haul around big airplanes at our local airport.. I know they are rolling weight but not light at all. I would just keep an eye on temps as well as checking out the FnR switch..
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 12:59 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Higher number gear ratios are lower gears.

15:1 (workhorse) is a lower gear ratio than 12:1 (standard)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 01:20 PM   #7
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

I sit corrected.. All bow down to scottyb the all knowing
Old 03-14-2016, 01:28 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
I sit corrected.. All bow down to scottyb the all knowing
For the members benefit I'm just trying to keep the information presented on the forum correct regardless who presents it, golf cart tech or cart owner, as we all do. The sarcasm is noted.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 01:41 PM   #9
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Okay, Okay.. I agree. I was wrong. I learned that I was backwards in my gear thinking.. And yes that was kind of a smart A comment now that I look at it so for that I apologize..
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO