lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-13-2018, 07:10 PM   #1
wbhess
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Low Max RPM Alltrax XCT500 Admiral B2 Motor

I've been messing around with the controller on my 03 PDS 36v, trying to get more top speed (20-22 on slight downhill, 17-18 slight uphill). I noticed in the monitoring mode that my RPMS will not exceed 2400rpm however the controller is set to a 6000rpm limit. Both Armature aperages are at 500amp. Batteries were fully charged. Going downhill the pack voltage was around 37.4 and up the slight incline it was roughly 35.5 volts. I tried to take pictures of the monitoring while going up the slight incline, as well as my torque/speed curves.

wbhess is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-13-2018, 07:22 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Low Max RPM Alltrax XCT500 Admiral B2 Motor

At the bottom of the Controller Setting page, set the Speed Sensor to 4 Poles.

Also, if you have stock differential gears (12.44:1) and about 19" tall tires, 22MPH is roughly 4800RPM at the motor, which will read out as 2400RPM if the speed sensor setting was 8 Pole (An Admiral B2 has a 4 -pole magnet disk)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 07:43 PM   #3
wbhess
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks Johnnie B. I did notice that the speed sensor was set to 8 poles..not sure what that means. Is it a possibility that the motor is a different Admiral motor and not a B2? My local shop ordered the motor to go along with the controller from ScottyB and set it to 8 pole. I do have 20" tires and a mild lift...probably should have said that in my initial post.
Old 08-13-2018, 07:57 PM   #4
E36Racer
Gone Wild

Club Car

Well there is a ton of reasons it may have been set to 8 pole, purely accidental is one of them. Change it to 4 and also let us know what map is installed just to double check. The installed map is listed just above where you change the pole settings.
E36Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 08:30 PM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbhess View Post
Thanks Johnnie B. I did notice that the speed sensor was set to 8 poles..not sure what that means. Is it a possibility that the motor is a different Admiral motor and not a B2? My local shop ordered the motor to go along with the controller from ScottyB and set it to 8 pole. I do have 20" tires and a mild lift...probably should have said that in my initial post.
Most cart motors are 8-pole, but I seem to remember Scotty saying all Admiral motors have 4 pole magnet disks, however my memory isn't what it used to be.

The number of poles on the magnet disk determines how many pulses the speed sensor puts out per revolution of the motor shaft. A 4-pole system puts out 2 pulses (four transitions) while an 8-pole system puts out 4 pulses. When a 4-pole speed sensor is connected to an XCT controller set to 8-poles, the controller thinks the motor is spinning half as fast as it actually is.

Ironically, you might get better performance after you change the controller setting to 4-poles since the XCT uses motor RPM as a factor in the field mapping. Probably a higher top speed since the XCT will allow more field weakening when it recognizes the motor is actually spinning twice as fast than it was thought to be spinning when set to 8-poles.

-------
As mention, what field map is loaded? The field maps are motor make/model specific, but some are for more than one make/model and there may be more than one for some specific makes and models.

-------
Next time you replace the batteries, go to 42V or 48V and hold onto your hat.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 08:38 PM   #6
wbhess
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I will switch it to 4 pole tomorrow and see if there is a difference. Is there a tab on the alltrax software that shows the installed field map? I would love to go to 48v..I feel as though I am not getting near the run-time with the upgraded controller/motor. My shop already said I could swap out my 6 6v for 6 8v but I would have to pay $350 since my batteries are "used" (8 months old). Would I need to change anything other than the charger? I have 2ga cables on all batteries and controller to motor. I bought the xct500 and hd 400amp solenoid from scottyb. Would that solenoid work in 48v as well? I talked to my local shop about upgrading to 48v and they didnt know if it could be possible.
Old 08-13-2018, 09:00 PM   #7
E36Racer
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbhess View Post
I will switch it to 4 pole tomorrow and see if there is a difference. Is there a tab on the alltrax software that shows the installed field map? I would love to go to 48v..I feel as though I am not getting near the run-time with the upgraded controller/motor. My shop already said I could swap out my 6 6v for 6 8v but I would have to pay $350 since my batteries are "used" (8 months old). Would I need to change anything other than the charger? I have 2ga cables on all batteries and controller to motor. I bought the xct500 and hd 400amp solenoid from scottyb. Would that solenoid work in 48v as well? I talked to my local shop about upgrading to 48v and they didnt know if it could be possible.

Like I said above, the installed field map is listed right above the magnet pole setting on the first tab. With your current hardware, you will only need a charger to go to 48v.
Old 08-13-2018, 09:02 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Yes on all questions.
The 400 solenoid is 36/48 volt operational.
The motor is 4 pole as Johnnie remembers
48v will give you more speed, torque, and run time.
We have the new 48v 20a FLOAT chargers on sale now.
The only No is there's no reason not to do this
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 05:01 PM   #9
wbhess
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

UPDATE:
Changed my settings to 4-pole instead of 8...Now my top speed is 26-27 down the slight decline and 24ish up the same slight incline. Before it was 20-22 down and 17-19 up. I must say, I am now quite satisfied with the results. I still want to go 48v for longer ride times. With 20" tires, what is the max RPM I can run my motor? Ive attached a picture of my field map..Hope this is the correct one. Thanks for all the responses fellas...I love this site.

Old 08-14-2018, 05:55 PM   #10
E36Racer
Gone Wild

Club Car

That looks like the stock motor map. Email Alltrax to get the map specific to your B2
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO