lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-10-2018, 03:53 PM   #21
70oldsracer
Gone Wild

Default Re: can't find rear axle drain plug

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeman6 View Post
Hmm, kinda makes me feel a little silly now liking the way my cart looks under the seat. I don’t know much at all about cars, but I can tell when someone cares about their stuff. That looks pretty dang good!
Thanks, I've had the car for 31 years now, bought it right out of high school. Finally had all the body work and paint done and built this last motor in 2005.
70oldsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-10-2018, 03:59 PM   #22
70oldsracer
Gone Wild

Okay, took off the cover and drained all the oil. Cleaned the silicone off the rear as well as the cover. The bolts threads were covered with silicone, but as far as I can tell, these are all blind holes and I don't see a need for the silicone. Maybe I missed something and hopefully someone can let me know if they need silicone on the threads.

Thanks
Old 10-10-2018, 04:09 PM   #23
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

No need. Probably some just oozed onto the bolts and holes during installation.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 04:20 PM   #24
70oldsracer
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
No need. Probably some just oozed onto the bolts and holes during installation.
Thanks
Old 10-10-2018, 04:22 PM   #25
70oldsracer
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Unfortunately, the "drain/fill" plug isn't located at the lowest part of the sump, so it won't drain the pan.

Fortunately, the differential oil only needs to be charged every five years or so.

----------
For unknown reasons, EZGO used SAE-30 motor oil to lubricate gears.
Some people replace the motor oil with gear oil while other use a 80/20 mix of motor oil and STP.

I'm currently using 90W-140 gear oil, but will be going to full synthetic 75W-90 gear oil the next time I change it. BTW: SAE-90 gear oil has about the same viscosity as SAE-30 motor oil.

-------------
Some people put 10oz of oil in the pan and do a balancing act to install it without spilling. I install the pan dry and fill it through the "fill" plug. I also tilt the cart axle so I can pump more than 10oz of gear oil in the pan before it starts leaking out of the fill hole.

I use a fluid transfer punp something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Custom-Access...utomotive&th=1
Any particular reason you went with the 90W-140 gear oil instead of the 80-90?
Old 10-10-2018, 07:11 PM   #26
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

If you want a quick and easy drain plug, just buy or scrounge a STEEL pipe union of the desired size, cut in half, weld it to the cover at the desired place, drill through the newly fixed "bung" and tighten a pipe plug in the union and done. About a 20 min job at the most.
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 07:51 PM   #27
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70oldsracer View Post
Any particular reason you went with the 90W-140 gear oil instead of the 80-90?
I ended up with some whining and clunking emanating from the motor/differential area after I replaced the stock PDS motor, which I exploded and slid to a stop from about 33MPH on 17" tall tires (motor was overheated and spinning over 8k before it seized).

Had the new motor checked by D&D and replaced the bearings on the input shaft. Still had the whine, so I put in the heavier gear oil to see if it would quiet it down some. It helped a little, but it still sounds like a a siren when I get much above 26MPH, so I've got the XCT set to RPM limited the motor to 6500RPM (~26MPH).

My plan was to run it until whatever was making failed, or the noise got bad enough to locate it without hanging off the cart at speed. It is quiet when on jack stands.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 08:23 PM   #28
70oldsracer
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundeebarnbuggy View Post
If you want a quick and easy drain plug, just buy or scrounge a STEEL pipe union of the desired size, cut in half, weld it to the cover at the desired place, drill through the newly fixed "bung" and tighten a pipe plug in the union and done. About a 20 min job at the most.
Exactly what I was thinking about doing. When I put the stock gas tank back in my 442, I had to weld in a 1/2" pipe bung for the fuel pump return line. I ended up making the bung on the lathe. I made it with a little flange so I could just drop it in the hole I drilled and just weld the flange to the gas tank. a lot easier than trying to hold it in place as I weld. I don't claim to be the best welder, but as long as it holds and it doesn't leak, i'm fine with that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2532.jpg (73.3 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO