lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-16-2019, 04:36 PM   #1
Canady33
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Smile E-Z-GO dying fast. New battery installed

Hello guys! I have a problem that I thought I had fixed from getting information from reading the already answered problems similar. It seems I have to dig a little deeper. For starters the golf cart is a 2009 36v Ezgo TXT ST Sport 2+2. It has the FWD/Reverse on the dash. 5 of the 6 batteries are about 3 years old they are the US batteries 2200 XC2 and the 6th battery I bought about a month ago "same model of battery". The battery I replaced that I thought was causing the problem was reading about 2v average while the others read 6v. This lead me to this forum to find out it had a bad cell. After replacing it and having about many hours on it the cart still seems to die very quickly. I would say about 30-45 minutes of casual riding around town with stops hear and there it barely has enough power to make it up our driveway. So now to move on to the digital battery voltage meter on the dash. Before replacing the new battery a month ago it would intermittently flash the 2 lower lines like the batteries where dead but even after charging all night it still did it. I thought maybe it was just a bad gauge. After replacing the new battery a month ago it started working but now it shows the battery level being the 2nd lowest line from the bottom but does not flash. It's like the new battery fixed it. To note we keep the cart plugged in all night until she uses it the next day around town. Also to note when I replaced the battery a month ago I cleaned all the terminals with the CLC cleaner and then protected them with the CLC terminal protecter. Is there something I need to check to see why it's dying so fast? Wish I knew more about these things but this is our first cart and I'm still learning. If you guys need anymore information I can get it. Thank you guys and or gals for your time it very much appreciate. Have a great weekend 😎
Canady33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-16-2019, 04:45 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: E-Z-GO dying fast. New battery installed

Your meter isn't a "digital voltage meter", it's what's known as the "10-led bargraph meter", and is reguard as one of the least accurate in the industry. I been in the industry over a decade, and I say they are only accurate on healthy, well balanced batteries. A "digital voltage meter" would do just that, give you a digital readout of battery voltage (like 37.1, for example). I think if you had a actual digital voltage meter, you would have a much better view of what's really happening. My next suggestion is to either get a "in dash volt meter", or hook a voltage test meter to your batteries, and test drive it. I think you will see the voltage dropping well below 32v while driving up your driveway, and that's bad. Your testing will likely expose more batteries that are in poor shape. Do it sooner rather than later, the old batteries are dragging your new battery down to their level.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 07:10 PM   #3
Canady33
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thank you CGTECH you are right it is a bar gauge. I think your right I bet I need to replace all of the batteries. I will buy an actual digital meter and see what it says. Do you recommend any that you have had good experience with?
Old 08-17-2019, 12:06 AM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Either use your volt test meter to test, or buy ScottyB's meter that fits next to your keyswitch. It fits right in next to your key. It's not expensive, and might even make your cart look cooler than before. I guess the only drawback is you would have to learn what the numbers mean (not a drawback when you consider how it will allow you to know your batteries true strength). Once you learn it, you will eventually be the "Jedi". Don't worry, we got your back, and it will not be hard or tricky. The only downside is that it will likely result in you knowing a bunch of new batteries are in your future. It hurts to see nasty results, but the truth is just that. Stationary voltages might look ”ok”, but "under load" is the only answer to the issues you ask of.

Probably take a look here, that's what I would do if I wanted to know what's up in "real time" while the load is on & when the numbers actually mean anything.

https://www.cartsunlimited.net/battery-meters.html
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 12:20 PM   #5
Canady33
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thank you very much! I ordered that meter can't wait to install it. I'm all about learning new things, plus being that it's the wife gold cart this will give me brownie points hehe����. I was doing some research on battery brands and seems that the US2200 seems to be the least desired battery for golf carts. Looks like the Trojan T-105 are fairly priced and are a great battery. Would you agree on this?
Old 08-17-2019, 07:41 PM   #6
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

When I replaced my 8 volt Trojans this year decided to go with u s batteries.
Not much difference in price but battery specs looked better, apples to apples.
My original Trojans did last 5 years till dying however I was not original owner of cart so can only assume they were cared for well.
Think you’ll be ok with either brand imo 😊
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 09:02 PM   #7
Canady33
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thank you Cobra makes me feel better about buying that US2200 battery last month lol.
Old 08-18-2019, 04:16 AM   #8
Sideways
Gone Wild

Some food for thought
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JohnnieB's SoC Chart.JPG (42.1 KB, 0 views)
Sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 05:02 PM   #9
Canady33
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Nice chart, going to print that out and hang in garage �� thanks sideways!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO