lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-03-2011, 11:02 AM   #21
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Default Re: 48v conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan T View Post
Thanks so much for the info. So for what ever reason someone disabled this in the past it seems. It apears to be fine to just tie that wire to pack voltage like you said. Ive added the 2 batteries to make this cart now 48v so I will have to buy a charger and fiqure out how to get the plug side of it as well to wire up to the cart. Does a 48v plug style also use this interlock system or is it best to just delete it as it is? Im wondering if going to a wrecking yard or the like and getting the female side of the charging plug for a 48v CC and replacing the ezgo style would make since. Whats other do for thier charging plug when they convert a ezgo to 48v?
Reed switches do go bad, and the simple work around is to bypass the switch and call it a day. As for the charger plug, EZ-Go makes a 36v receptacle and a 48v receptacle. They are shaped slightly different so that the wrong charger cannot be engaged in the wrong cart, something that might happen at a golf course cart barn but not likely to a single user. You could easily exchange the plug off your old charger to the new 48v charger and leave the receptacle alone. Common sense works here. Both the receptacles and the new plugs are quite pricey.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-03-2011, 11:56 AM   #22
Ryan T
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by gornoman View Post
Reed switches do go bad, and the simple work around is to bypass the switch and call it a day. As for the charger plug, EZ-Go makes a 36v receptacle and a 48v receptacle. They are shaped slightly different so that the wrong charger cannot be engaged in the wrong cart, something that might happen at a golf course cart barn but not likely to a single user. You could easily exchange the plug off your old charger to the new 48v charger and leave the receptacle alone. Common sense works here. Both the receptacles and the new plugs are quite pricey.
Makes since thanks a bunch. The only way I see I'll prob. have to buy the new end is if I end up trading my 36v for a 48v of some kind.

I got a chance to work on it some yeaterday and made a lot of head way. Its pretty much all wired besides finishing up the 2 ga cables [waiting on more heat shrink], putting the rear portion of the new body on, and installing the PQ motor thats on its way back here now.

Thanks guys for the help and advise
Ryan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 01:41 PM   #23
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

I sure hope you took pix along the way.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:38 PM   #24
Ryan T
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by gornoman View Post
I sure hope you took pix along the way.
I did, its coming along real nice.

Had issues today looking for a 48v charger for this conversion. I went to a cart shop and was going to see If someone would want to do some horse trading on my powerwise II 36v charger for somesort of a 48v charger. We looked at several diff. kinds of CC units but they said they wouldnt work because they all required a on board computer that held the capacitor, that it wasnt in the charger like the old one's? They all thought that ya I could put a ezgo end on it and ya it would prob. charge but it wouldnt ever know when to shut itself off? They were thinking the way around this would be to wire up a mechanical 12 hour timer, I just wanted to see what others did in this situation. They agreed on the interlock wire though to not use it and just find the other end of it and crimp on a eye and place it under the first battery's + to see the packs full 48v. Im stumped on what to do for a charger I was hoping to get some trade valve out of mine. Thanks
Old 02-03-2011, 07:57 PM   #25
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

I bought a used 48v Lestermatic on this forum, and sold my 36v Powerwise the same way. Almost an even swap for me. If you want a new unit, check the site sponsors. Make sure you call them as they don't all put their entire inventory online. A 48v Yamaha charger is a direct fit except for the plug. The guys were right about the Club Car chargers. They won't work right for other carts without an OBC.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:18 PM   #26
madoc1
no clue

E-Z-GO

check with rabbitreborn. not a sponsor but seems to have some extra stuff lying around.
madoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:21 PM   #27
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Yes, and if all else fails check with BGW sponsors who have 48v chargers new for as little as $299 and keep this site on line selling them
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:31 PM   #28
TerryH
Let's go racin' boyz!!

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Yes, and if all else fails check with BGW sponsors who have 48v chargers new for as little as $299 and keep this site on line selling them
Well, OK...if all else fails.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:42 PM   #29
Ryan T
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Could you email me some info on what you sell that would work for me? Thanks.

On of the guys just called from earlier and said he had a old style 48v Lestermatic charger that has a 12 hour timer on it, he said it works great and he would take a hundred bucks for it? Heck one of the guys I meet with today offered me 175.00 for my 36v charger, I delcined as I fiqured it might be worth more for me twards trade value.......

Id like something that will plug right into my ezgo recipticle and do a nice job for my 8 new 6v batteries. Thanks
Old 02-03-2011, 09:08 PM   #30
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan T View Post
Could you email me some info on what you sell that would work for me? Thanks.

On of the guys just called from earlier and said he had a old style 48v Lestermatic charger that has a 12 hour timer on it, he said it works great and he would take a hundred bucks for it? Heck one of the guys I meet with today offered me 175.00 for my 36v charger, I delcined as I fiqured it might be worth more for me twards trade value.......

Id like something that will plug right into my ezgo recipticle and do a nice job for my 8 new 6v batteries. Thanks
Stay away from the old timer chargers, Ryan. as you will see modern micro-processing chargers have come a long way from the old dial chargers. They 3 stage charge and maintain or float charge when done to keep the pack 100% up and ready. TVs, Cell Phones and yes, battery chargers have evolved Any timer charger has got to be 25 yrs old
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
03 ezgo pds conversion
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO