lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-01-2012, 11:13 AM   #11
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Do I need to chg OBC going 4 12v to 6 8v?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindub View Post
According to another post the algorithm used for the 12v v 8v is the same.
Please quote your sources.
David is quoting Club Car technician manuals.

Club Car is saying that with 6/8v batteries you are replacing more amperage per recharge so you need a different algorithm. I could see that, although CC is not about to give us the two algorithms in their OBCs to view side by side.
I have email my tech support at Trojan Battery Company with the following request for information, I will post their response :

Hello,
I would like to exchange four T1275 batteries with six T875 in my Club car with OBC. Club Car suggests a different OBC (on board computer) for this upgrade. What would the differences be in the charging algorithms be between 4/12v and 6/8v systems?
Thank you for a great product & your assistance
Carts Unlimited
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-01-2012, 11:36 AM   #12
kevindub
Not Yet Wild

Scotty,
This came from the guy that owns Shelby controls. Someone asked the question about converting from 12v batts to 8v batts. He said the kit was all you need which includes the tub, wires etc. He said the algorithm for the charger was the same for either setup. Here is his email. Please ask him if this is correct. I am new to the golf cart world so maybe I misunderstood him.
Thanks
kevin d
kevindub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:37 AM   #13
kevindub
Not Yet Wild

Scotty,
Please let me know that I am right or wrong as I intend to do this when my 12v's are dead.

Thx

kevin D
Old 05-01-2012, 11:44 AM   #14
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

YiKes! There is much better info here between the head technician from Atlanta's largest CC distributor and Trojan battery tech support.

You want to make sure you get accurate information from people with real golf cart industry information.

Lets wait and see what Trojan's response is.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:09 PM   #15
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

We have overlooked the obvious and Trojan tech support was kind enough to point it out.

Battery charger output must be a percentage of the battery capacity.

From Tech support:
The maximum charge rate of the charger is determined based on the amp-hour rating of the battery bank. The T-1275's are rated at 150Ah and the T-875's are rated at 170AH. Maximum charge rate could range from 10% to 20% of the Ah capacity. The voltage parameter would stay the same.

It's likely the OBC recommended increases the chargers bulk charge rate to match the higher AH batteries. Scottyb
Old 05-01-2012, 12:28 PM   #16
kevindub
Not Yet Wild

Scotty,
I get what you are saying, but don't Club Car dealers use the same charger for either? If you purchase a used cart, I don't think the charger is specific to the battery. Does the OBC recognize the battery or do you tell it with the algorithm? If you tell it and the algorithm are the same then is there a some other difference? I am by no means the person to be figuring this stuff out but I can't help but wonder.
Thanks
kevin
Old 05-01-2012, 12:32 PM   #17
kevindub
Not Yet Wild

Scotty,
I just realized that it really doesn't make much difference. You need to purchase the kit for the pre 2009 models anyway and it includes the OBC so weather you can or can't really doesn't make much difference. You need all the rest of the parts to make it work regardless.
kevin
Old 05-01-2012, 01:37 PM   #18
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

This post could go on forever and ever. But I've proven it to myself numerous times. Discharge times on a set of 8 Volt batteries charged with an older 2.06 or 3.0 OBC are 10-15% less than they are after a new v5.0 or higher OBC has been installed. However, the newest OBCs claim to work with either system. The older stuff did not.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:50 PM   #19
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The OBC is the brain for the charger. It tells the charger what amperage to put out for how long and what to do next ... that's algorithm.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:02 PM   #20
Golfdog
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
The OBC is the brain for the charger. It tells the charger what amperage to put out for how long and what to do next ... that's algorithm.
Scotty, Does this mean that the brain in an EZGO charger is smarter than the OBC in a Club Car or would you have get a differant charger for Trojan T105's ( 225ah) and T145's (260ah)
Golfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car