lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-16-2013, 11:25 PM   #1
matthewf13
Not Yet Wild

Default Electric cart for farm work?

Hi guys,

I love the idea of using an electric golf cart as a farm vehicle for many reasons. No gas, no sound, don't have to turn on and off many times when picking up rocks/sticks.

What do you guys think of using the electric golf cart for heavier farm work? Pulling chain harrows, aerators, spreaders and most importantly a tow behind mower.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_89076-203-45...ind&facetInfo=

I should only be mowing an acre at a time. Do you think an electric cart could handle this? What mods will need to be done?
My choice is this or an ATV and putting the most badass motor, batteries ETC would be the same price as an atv really.
matthewf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-17-2013, 04:54 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Electric cart for farm work?

Electric carts are great around the ranch or farm.They are great people movers. Excellent for light hauling and quick transportation.
I don't think they are suited for towing a mower or dragging any dirt working attachment. Too much load at slow speeds will draw a lot of amps and create a lot of heat which will eventually break the drive system down. In my opinion, just buy a large riding mower, it will cut the field and drag a harrow or ?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:27 PM   #3
punchy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

We use our carts exactly as scottyb said; they're great people movers and awesome mobile toolboxes. Around our place, though, the tractor has a hard enough time with the dirt and rocks, I wouldn't dare subject the carts to that duty.
punchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:16 PM   #4
mtpolarbear
Polar Bear wild to you...

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Electric carts are great around the ranch or farm.They are great people movers. Excellent for light hauling and quick transportation.
I don't think they are suited for towing a mower or dragging any dirt working attachment. Too much load at slow speeds will draw a lot of amps and create a lot of heat which will eventually break the drive system down. In my opinion, just buy a large riding mower, it will cut the field and drag a harrow or ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by punchy View Post
We use our carts exactly as scottyb said; they're great people movers and awesome mobile toolboxes. Around our place, though, the tractor has a hard enough time with the dirt and rocks, I wouldn't dare subject the carts to that duty.
I think I would disagree with scotty and punchy. If you are willing to put the money into making a bad a** cart like you said, then I think 48 volts, the right low gearing, updated electronics & motor for torque the I don't see why it wouldn't work. Pulling a harrow is nothing, so the only piece of the equation would be the pull behind mower. How much does the mower way? JohnnieB can look at the numbers and give you a better idea based on the math if it will work. Some one please correct me if I'm wrong here.
mtpolarbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:08 PM   #5
mtpolarbear

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Quote:
An 800 pound golf cart or even a 1000 pound golf cart pulling a 3500 pound trailer is equivalent of a pickup truck pulling 17,500 trailer.
Even a 1500 pound trailer is equivalent to a pickup with a 7500 pound trailer.
I think it will work just fine. Scotty said it himself.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:28 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpolarbear View Post
I think I would disagree with scotty and punchy. If you are willing to put the money into making a bad a** cart like you said, then I think 48 volts, the right low gearing, updated electronics & motor for torque the I don't see why it wouldn't work. Pulling a harrow is nothing, so the only piece of the equation would be the pull behind mower. How much does the mower way? JohnnieB can look at the numbers and give you a better idea based on the math if it will work. Some one please correct me if I'm wrong here.
All sorts of complications here.

The mower probably weighs less than the half-ton cart, so you would have reasonable directional stability, but with rear wheel only mechanical brakes, golf carts barely have enough braking power to stop themselves.

The turning radius of a golf cart is about 19 feet while the turning radius is 3 feet or less for most riding mowers. That wouldn't be much of an issue on open range, but if there is any trees, buildings or fences, you would have a lot of push mowing to do.

Then there is the speed issue. Rotary blade mowers tend to work best at walking speeds or about 3 to 4 MPH and with a 42" deck, you will travel about 2.75 miles per acre of mowing, including a 6" overlap, but not counting maneuvering. A series drive cart can be built to creep along at walking speeds for the hour or two it would take to mow an acre, but it would be difficult ($$$) to build a sepex drive cart (PDS or DCS) that would tolerate it.

Also, for the price of the towed 42" mowing deck linked to, you can buy a riding mower with a 42" deck.

----------
I used a PDS (stock at the time) to pull a 4-wheel wagon with steerable front wheels to pick up fallen branches and hauling stuff in general.
And used it to drag branches too big to fit in the wagon when my riding mower didn't have enough traction to pull them.

I've also strapped sheets of plywood to its roof and stood 2X4's in the bagwell to get them home from the lumberyard.

I use it whenever it is possible and practical because it is quiet and comfortable and economical.

------------
Bottom line: A golf cart can be modified to do just about anything, but by doing so, it becomes more suited for a specific type of task and less of a general purpose vehicle.

Basically, it boils down to a compromise between Torque, Speed, Cosmetics and Budget.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:52 AM   #7
mtpolarbear

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
All sorts of complications here.

The mower probably weighs less than the half-ton cart, so you would have reasonable directional stability, but with rear wheel only mechanical brakes, golf carts barely have enough braking power to stop themselves.

The turning radius of a golf cart is about 19 feet while the turning radius is 3 feet or less for most riding mowers. That wouldn't be much of an issue on open range, but if there is any trees, buildings or fences, you would have a lot of push mowing to do.

Then there is the speed issue. Rotary blade mowers tend to work best at walking speeds or about 3 to 4 MPH and with a 42" deck, you will travel about 2.75 miles per acre of mowing, including overlap, but not counting maneuvering. A series drive cart can be built to creep along at walking speeds for the hour or two it would take to mow an acre, but it would be difficult ($$$) to build a sepex drive cart (PDS or DCS) that would tolerate it.

Also, for the price of the towed 42" mowing deck linked to, you can buy a riding mower with a 42" deck.

----------
I used a PDS (stock at the time) to pull a 4-wheel wagon with steerable front wheels to pick up fallen branches and hauling stuff in general.
And used it to drag branches too big to fit in the wagon when my riding mower didn't have enough traction to pull them.

I've also strapped sheets of plywood to its roof and stood 2X4's in the bagwell to get them home from the lumberyard.

I use it whenever it is possible and practical because it is quiet and comfortable and economical.

------------
Bottom line: A golf cart can be modified to do just about anything, but by doing so, it becomes more suited for a specific type of task and less of a general purpose vehicle.

Basically, it boils down to a compromise between Torque, Speed, Cosmetics and Budget.
Great info JohnnieB.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:08 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I advise based upon hundreds of golf carts upgrades each year. My data base is compiled from from 100s of personal restorations and customer builds. We have been using golf carts on the family ranches and play grounds here for 35 years. I was involved in local cart service at Local Ranches, Schools, Apartments, Shopping Centers, Wineries, Soccer fields, and golf courses. I have seen carts put to every conceivable use. This is what I base my advice upon.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:28 AM   #9
mtpolarbear

E-Z-GO

Quote:
I advise based upon hundreds of golf carts upgrades each year. My data base is compiled from from 100s of personal restorations and customer builds. We have been using golf carts on the family ranches and play grounds here for 35 years. I was involved in local cart service at Local Ranches, Schools, Apartments, Shopping Centers, Wineries, Soccer fields, and golf courses. I have seen carts put to every conceivable use. This is what I base my advice upon.
Scotty I wasn't doubting you, I was just sharing your info. I assume you were referring to me. No worries here! Just thought your info would help.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:48 AM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

There is a difference between moving a trailer and mowing a filed ... I think he will have heat problems related to the additional loads and low speed and long operation time. That is why I advise against it.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO