lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-18-2019, 10:34 AM   #1
fael0401
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default 2008 G29 - Rear Wheel Grinding

Hey Guys,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I've scoured this site and other in search of answers but I'm still baffled as to what my carts issue is. My cart is a 2008 G29 electric drive Yellow tag transaxle. The previous owner upgraded the suspension and put new wheels with hub extenders, etc.

Last year I started noticing a squeaking sound coming from the driver's side right wheel. I jacked it up and noticed that the wheel literally had play in it. I could rock it back and forth on the axle. I took the wheel off, and found that the axle nut was loose. I tightened everything up and it was fine for a few weeks. Unfortunately the sound returned and yet again, the nut had come loose on me. I replaced the axle nut and the castle cap nut with a true castle nut and torqued everything back up to spec. Again, the squeak was gone for a short time but returned.

I more closely inspected everything and found that the hub itself didn't fit snug on the axle any longer. You could feel the up and down play when the hub was on the axle. I figured it was time for a new hub so I bought one. Put it on... and the squeak went away for short while but returned. I noticed that the new hub fit a little better, but still not snug like I think it should.

At this point... my thoughts are that the axle is worn. It seems like the hub and/or axle are tapered to some extent and should mate together with no play. I'm guessing that there is just enough play that causes the wheel to rock back and forth when under way and this is causing the squeaking noise... which is quite annoying!

Any help would be appreciated! I don't want to spend 500 on a new axle to find that I'm way off base here. Thanks!!

-Elliot
fael0401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-18-2019, 12:24 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: 2008 G29 - Rear Wheel Grinding

The splines are not tapered, they are straight. Yours must be really worn.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 01:57 PM   #3
fael0401
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: 2008 G29 - Rear Wheel Grinding

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
The splines are not tapered, they are straight. Yours must be really worn.
Good to know about the taper. The passenger side fits really snug and there's no up/down or side to side play in the hub to axle connection.

Is there a way I can measure the axle splines with a micrometer and compare it to the passenger side to confirm this is the culprit? The only other thing I was thinking was possibly a bad axle bearing but I don't see how the symptom would go away with tightening or the axle nut if it were the bearing.
fael0401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha