lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-06-2009, 07:41 AM   #1
yamy
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default G1 - Something humming at high speed

Hi everyone. I have an '82 G1 that runs great except that it has a weird humming noise at high speed - I can get it up to about 26 mph now, thanks to the help of this forum, although I haven't made any major changes to it.

Anyway, this noise sounds like it’s coming from the drive train, maybe the gearbox. The sound is a low-to-high hum that oscillates once every second, which is weird since everything rotating in the drive train rotates at a much high speed that the noise. The rear gearbox has oil up to the filler plug. Not sure what else to check, but as I’m typing this I just had a thought – may I could jack up the rear and run it high speed to help pinpoint the source of the noise. (Just got to make sure the cart doesn’t come off the jack stands, like in Ferris Buhler ).

Thanks ahead.
yamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-06-2009, 09:38 AM   #2
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Default Re: G1 - Something humming at high speed

Yep, jack up the rear and run it. Hopefully you can locate the source of the noise.

TheNewGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 11:35 AM   #3
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: G1 - Something humming at high speed

Every one I ever ran hummed at high speed, soon as the clutch is shifted all the way out, then it hums with engine speed. This is caused by the inside grooves of the drive belt bottoming on the sheaves as best I can tell you. I had a lot of sleds that did the same thing. If the noise is not that, please try to describe it. The belt hum only happens when the clutch shifts all the way out, top gear so to speak.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gearbox humming
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha