lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-03-2009, 09:56 AM   #1
tjc02002
Not Yet Wild

Default G1 and Torque Spring ??

I just got a G1 and it seems like it has lots of torque. I hit the gas on the lawn and it rips up the lawn. the machine is 100% stock. I have a torque spring but i am wondering if it is worth installing because this thing doesnt seem to need it.
tjc02002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-03-2009, 02:22 PM   #2
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: G1 and Torque Spring ??

If it has the old square aluminum looking clutch, you can't get them anymore, but they had a spring in them like a sled. Just shim that spring and they will lay rubber on pavement. I would not put a big spring in the secondary, but it is possible the stock one could be weak from age if you have a problem with it. I ran them nearly new and had no need to touch the secondary. I used to smoke the tire on pavement, a stock cart tire. On gravel I could keep it sideways until it ran out of gas or my arms got tired. Most carts you don't need a spring until you lift them anyway, even slower 4 stroke carts.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 03:15 PM   #3
tjc02002
Not Yet Wild

its got the exact same secondary clutch as my G9. The only reason i am considering it is because I have the torque spring just sitting on the bench and otherwise im not gonna use it.

Are you saying that the front clutch on the engine should be modified to a stiffer spring or spacers?
Old 12-03-2009, 04:27 PM   #4
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

The G1 secondary does not wind up preload like the 4 stroke carts, it has ramps both ways unlike 4 strokes because it runs in reverse.

Right the old original primary on the engine has a spring the newer ones do not. The spring can increase the engagement to any rpm you want. The newer ones with the stamped steel covers don't.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:49 AM   #5
tjc02002
Not Yet Wild

darn, i got the newer one. actually I have 2 of the newer ones. the covers are stamped steel. Anyway, does anyone on the forum have a G1 with the torque kit installed. was it worth it. I have the spring already and want to know if its worth installing.
Old 12-04-2009, 02:52 PM   #6
Newbylee
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjc02002 View Post
darn, i got the newer one. actually I have 2 of the newer ones. the covers are stamped steel. Anyway, does anyone on the forum have a G1 with the torque kit installed. was it worth it. I have the spring already and want to know if its worth installing.
Go to the bottom of this thread and click on some of the "similar threads" and you'll find some feedback. Someone here said it is one of the best mods you can do for more torque! I'm ordering one soon as our dollar gets a little stronger
Newbylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 04:15 PM   #7
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

They did make a yamahauler G1 and I was told the spring was stronger, they did seem to shift different I ran one. If its still available and you want to try one that is.
Old 12-04-2009, 04:22 PM   #8
tjc02002
Not Yet Wild

Thanks guys. im gonna install the spring and see how it is on the G1. ive done it before on the G9.
Old 12-04-2009, 04:35 PM   #9
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Keep us posted, we are a nosy group.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 05:17 PM   #10
irene.jack
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Installed spring today,will try Sat. and let you know.I do alot of hill climbing and am hoping for better performance,thanks Jackie
irene.jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha