lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-23-2010, 12:42 PM   #1
Zim
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default G14 vs. G16 engine quality, values

Hi all,

After having great fun and luck with a G1 over the past several years, I want to add a G14-up style to the herd. I found a solid, presentable '96 G14 that runs well, has a canopy, rear seat, and new tires for $1,200. That seems to be a good price compared to others I've seen.

My question is, should I hold out for a G16 since it would have the newer style engine? I don't plan to hotrod this machine, but would like to speed it up to 15-17 mph.

Thanks,
Zim
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-23-2010, 05:54 PM   #2
KENNETHC
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: G14 vs. G16 engine quality, values

Cant speak for the g16 but my g14 runs well. Still pulls deer, hunters around farm well. I am happy with it. Still want to do clonda motor, and will when money comes around. But i would want to do motor swap even if i had the newer model. I use it for everything. Around the house, fishin trips, hunting and running around neighbors houses. If i came across another g14 for that and had the money it would be sold.
KENNETHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 07:03 PM   #3
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

G14's were basicly a one year cart. I personally didn't like the gas tank on the driverside (made primary clutch work a pain) and the air box is harder to get to. BUT, 1200.00 for a solid cart with a rear facing seat is a steal. Good luck on your decission.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 09:27 PM   #4
Zim
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Thanks for your replies. I ended up buying the cart, but after finding the serial number, I learned it's a '93 G8 with G14 body panels. I was a little disappointed, but the cart runs and drives great and we're already having fun with it.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:56 PM   #5
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zim View Post
Thanks for your replies. I ended up buying the cart, but after finding the serial number, I learned it's a '93 G8 with G14 body panels. I was a little disappointed, but the cart runs and drives great and we're already having fun with it.
Don't be disappointed. G8's are good carts. Enjoy your new toy and if you have questions......just ask! Lets see a picture. Heck, "WILSON" started out as a G8
Old 06-24-2010, 10:57 PM   #6
Zim
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Thanks, smallblock450sl. I agree! Wilson is a wicked machine by the way. Here are a couple pics of the G8/14 and my G1.

I made a few small repairs today. The brakes weren't releasing correctly, but the problem was entirely in the pedal pivot. A stray bolt found its way into the mechanism, as well as dirt, etc.. I cleaned it all up, hit it with PB Blaster, cleaned and oiled the pivot bolt and it all works great.

The cart now runs about 14 mph after setting the governor up a bit, but I'm not thrilled with the acceleration. Maybe my snappy 2 cycle has me spoiled. I do plan to investigate the throttle to see if it's fully opening. I hadn't thought of that until I read the sticky on this board.

Like many older Yamaha carts, the king pins and bushings are shot. I ordered a kit today and a valve ("head") cover gasket to replace the leaky one on my cart.

The only other issue I have is engine temperature. Spit sizzles on the valve cover after running for a while. I'm wondering if it's running lean. The leaky valve cover has oil filmed/dusted the engine quite a bit, which probably isn't great for dissapating heat either. I plan to clean it up once the new gasket is installed, plus check the rubber carb joint for cracks.

Thanks again for all of your input,

Zim

Old 06-26-2010, 04:47 PM   #7
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Nice looking carts
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 05:11 PM   #8
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Very nice "posse" you have there Zim I always recomend to customers to put "sawtooth" tires on the front. You will find steering and ride is better and the tires will last longer then "traction" tires. For some reason, G8 mufflers seemed to get "clogged" mufflers and that could account for the heat and "zippyness", also make shure the fan shrouds are not clogged with debrie. Lets see a picture of the engine compartment.
Old 06-26-2010, 10:53 PM   #9
Zim
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Thanks, guys. I agree with you on the tires. The seller just installed these turf tires, so I'll probably keep them for a while. We run our carts about half on gravel, half on grass. My G1 runs a type of turf tire too, though not as agressive as the G8.

The exhaust does seem to be quieter on the G8 than other carts I've heard. How would I unclog the muffler? I've used a rubber mallet, a water hose, and air pressure on some of my other projects. I'd hate to attempt the BBQ on this muffler since it looks fragile compared to my G1's. After adjusting the throttle to open fully, acceleration is a great deal better, but I think it has more potential.

There was quite a bit of grass, etc. in the fan intake area. The fins look clear, but I may break down and take the shrouds off for a thorough cleaning. It seems to be running cooler already. The picture below is after some cleaning with warm detergent water and careful rinsing. There's still a lot of grease/dust, but it looks a lot better already.

Thanks again for your help,
Zim

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha