lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-08-2010, 12:57 AM   #1
jamunger
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default my new g1

hey guys, new to the forum but i have been on it many times before. anyway im 16 and me and my parents just got a house on a golf course in orting. because of that they decided to get a cart. searched on craigslist for awhile and they ended up getting this old g1, i wasn't there when they bought it but apparently the other owner had done some work on the engine like taking out the fuel mixer and governor (i think). its possible th:they may have done other internal stuff but i haven't taken a look yet. after taking the old girl out off roadin she does pretty good except i definitely need to lift it for more clearence( i got high centered and was stuck for quite some time)
also, i have also drove a electric ezgo and it seemed like it had a lot more power of the line but the g1 def. has better top speed but probably only like 19-22 mph and it smokes, it has a 50:1 ratio but it may be old gas/oil. its possible the original owner never took good care of it. i think soon im going to do the g1 muffler BBQ and if there is somehow i could possibly do something with the clutch to get more torque. any help and suggestions about what i should do for the torque/ smoke and possibly other mods to do would be great thanks
jamunger is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-08-2010, 01:02 AM   #2
jamunger
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: my new g1

heres a pic of the cart

Old 07-08-2010, 01:17 PM   #3
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Put a new oil injector pump on it I suppose. It runs 100:1 but gives more oil when you hammer it, so don't mix oil that light most are going 50-80:1 depending on how they drive it. More is safer. Get a better oil it smokes less.

What clutch is on it? If the old alum one you can shim the spring in it for better takeoff. The newer one with the gold cover you can't do much with. Check the engine mounts, get a new belt that helps. If the engine torques towards the trans due to bad mount/etc it will lose takeoff power. Belt limit is 1" wide, at that point they don't work that well are 1 3/16 new. 1" belt on a lifted cart will bog.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 01:33 PM   #4
jamunger
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

thanks for the response, for the ratio it seems like a lot of people just dont use the auto mix mechanism. usually the cart will be used for going through trails and cruisin the neighborhood with actual golfing probably once a week, should i opt for like a 60:1 or 80:1

as for the clutch the front one has a grey cover over it that doesnt seem like it could be opened easily. the rear one looks like it could be aluminum and has no cover

i am planning on lifting it around 4 inches so should i get a thinner belt?

once again thanks for the help im new to the gas golfcarts and engine wise im used to a little honda 50 thats bored out so its a lot different.
Old 07-08-2010, 01:41 PM   #5
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

The old clutch is more square looking, the new one has a cover that is rounded like a bowl with bolts/screws around the edge holding it on. You can also clean and lube the clutches they don't work that well dirty.

Wider belt will take off harder, just get a new one should be better unless yours is pretty new. Will need a like new belt lifted.

If you have it on the floor a lot try 60:1.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 02:02 PM   #6
jamunger
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

ok newb question, is the small covered thing near the engine the clutch or is the clutch the larger uncovered wheel thing closer to the wheels. the larger back one has a spring on one side of the axle, is this the spring you were talking about shimming?
Old 07-08-2010, 02:42 PM   #7
jamunger
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

UPDATE:
ok so this morning i took it out for a little cruise and i it didnt smoke when cold and the hotter it got the more it smoked which makes me think i just need to have a little backyard bbq ;) something else i noticed was when it was cold i had no reverse, it reved up but it just wouldnt move, after i was drivin for awhile i tried reverse again and it work. so its not a huge problem but i guess a little annoying. o ya instead of the bbq what if a just bought a new muffler. would that be just as good as the bbq? are there any cheap aftermarket exhaust systems that possibly boost hp? i dont really want to fab anything so just bolt on. there is a muffler on plowmans carts that looks good , has anyone tried that one yet?

heres the link
http://www.plowmanscarts.com/hp_pipes-g1.html

DOUBLE UPDATE:
just clocked it with my gps and it topped at 16!
i dont know but maybe the gov isnt off, i looked at the carb and when u peddle down the carb opens all the way so do you think its just the belts?
Old 07-08-2010, 05:56 PM   #8
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Welcome ,jamunger! You have some really good questions. Your about 15 minutes from the shop (in Puyallup on River Road), you can alway's come buy and ask any question or show me your new ride. Funny, I started playing golf in junior high at High Cedars, then High school golf, then several years later ran the pro shop there and in the winter I would service and fix the fleet cars (G1-a's then G2/G9-a's) to keep a job when play was down. That led to me going to work for the Yamaha golf car distibutorship. Almost 30 years later....I still learn something new everyday about the carts. Have fun and keep asking questions.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 06:26 PM   #9
jamunger
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

o cool my parents and have been down there when we were looking for a cart
its nice to know there are some local people around here

so does the shop just do maintenance work or do u do performance and aftermarket work too? sometime next year when i have my cart dialed in i plan on making a rubbing alcohol intake injection( kinda like nitrous) using a windshield washer pump and tank etc. i have seen it done on a wrx and think it would be a cheap boost system, and possibly boring out the cylinders ect.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:35 PM   #10
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamunger View Post
o cool my parents and have been down there when we were looking for a cart
its nice to know there are some local people around here

so does the shop just do maintenance work or do u do performance and aftermarket work too? sometime next year when i have my cart dialed in i plan on making a rubbing alcohol intake injection( kinda like nitrous) using a windshield washer pump and tank etc. i have seen it done on a wrx and think it would be a cheap boost system, and possibly boring out the cylinders ect.
Only thing holding back an idea is trying. I've "dabbled" with performance mods.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yamaha g1
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha