lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-04-2010, 02:04 PM   #1
jollymonso
Not Yet Wild

Default G2 runs hot and stalls

I have a 1988 G2 which I have made some modifications to:
high speed gears
power kit (Jake's)
new G2 muffler (Plowman's)
new carb jets for high speed gears (Plowman's)

The cart seems to run hot! It also backfires occasionally when letting off the accelerator. It starts and runs okay, but gets hot and then begins to run rough and stalls out. I replaced the muffler because I thought the original muffler might be plugged but it still runs hot. I also have to adjust the valves on a monthly basis or it refuses to start.

I've thought about rebuilding the engine but I'm not sure if that would solve my problems. I'd appreciate any/all suggestions?
jollymonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-05-2010, 10:10 AM   #2
jmz
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: G2 runs hot and stalls

Have you cleaned the cooling fins on the motor ? How do you know it is running hot ? What about the main jet size? Do you have a bigger jet ?
jmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 12:01 PM   #3
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: G2 runs hot and stalls

Good points, take the shrouding off and check the fins, if it leaked a drop of oil out of the rocker cover the fins can be plugged up. Also check the intake scoop by the gas tank.

Running lean can also do that, run it hard and shut it off fast then read the plug. If its light you need more jet. You can hog the jet out to find the right size with a torch tip cleaner or get a number drill set that small. There are good pages on the net showing how to read a plug if you need with color photos. If you didn't figure it out you can get the jet out with carb in the cart you may have to enlarge it a few times you don't want to go too big at once.

Popping on slow down could be the idle jet, it should be around 1.5 turn out or try it .25 turn out more than you have it now. When the throttle is closed it works, more than about 1/8 throttle is the main. Or the main could still be lean I'd go after that first.

Last thing I can think of is you have a bad ignitor they can go bad with heat, try to swap a known good one before you buy as they are not cheap. You could have a tired motor with low compression too mine is starting to do that it gets weak when hot and runs funny, maybe a valve issue I'm not sure. I cleaned my fins and ran seafoam through it and it was better but still not right. Going to put a clone 16hp in it just did one next is mine.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha