lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-18-2010, 07:51 PM   #1
Lakedrunk
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Motor needs a nudge to get going???

I'm gonna start off by saying I don't know hardly anything about how this engine works...

2000 G-16... I'm just guessing here, does the motor start running with help from an electric motor?

When I give it gas it tries to go but is very jerky. If going up hill it pretty much won't go, but downhill it will. Going uphill it seems to me it's trying to move on electric power but the gas motor won't start up. Once it gets going it runs fine. And this just happened today, it was fine then not.

A few days ago I filled it with gas (I don't see water or debris of any kind)

I've taken the spark plug out and it looks fine. I am going to get a new plug tomorrow anyway.

I took off the fuel filter and it looks clean. And the air filter is clean.

Any ideas? Will a new plug fix it?
Lakedrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-18-2010, 07:56 PM   #2
nitro1
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Motor needs a nudge to get going???

how is the belt on it...is it worn, the spark plug might be junk and miss firing ect...
nitro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 07:59 PM   #3
Lakedrunk
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I should also say I've had this for 6 months or so and it gets driven pretty much everyday and has ran fine since day one.

The belt looks a little worn but not horrible. And again I'm guessing if it runs fine once it gets going the belt is fine? It doesn't slip or anything like I've heard some do.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:01 PM   #4
Lakedrunk
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Oh, and I don't hear the motor running untill I can get the cart moving with a little push or go down a small hill
Old 08-18-2010, 08:03 PM   #5
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Does chocking it help start better?
Check the battery with a volt meter.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:17 PM   #6
Lakedrunk
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOmsman View Post
Does chocking it help start better?
Check the battery with a volt meter.
No, chocking it does nothing (except with the normal first time getting on it for the day)

I've given up for the day, I'll check the battery tomorrow. The horn and lights do work though.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:21 PM   #7
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

The generator/starter is like they used to use on old tractors and model Ts IIRC. They will start the engine and then turn into a generator to charge battery. It will run with pedal down, if the engine runs it will rev when you gas it otherwise the engine is not running the generator is just turning it over. The cart should not move or move much or your clutches need cleaning or repair. Belt should be over 1" wide. If it does not turn over then its battery or cable connections usually, sometimes the brushes get bad in the generator but not often.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:31 PM   #8
Lakedrunk
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho305 View Post
The generator/starter is like they used to use on old tractors and model Ts IIRC. They will start the engine and then turn into a generator to charge battery. It will run with pedal down, if the engine runs it will rev when you gas it otherwise the engine is not running the generator is just turning it over. The cart should not move or move much or your clutches need cleaning or repair. Belt should be over 1" wide. If it does not turn over then its battery or cable connections usually, sometimes the brushes get bad in the generator but not often.
Yeah it doesn't move much unless I push or coast down a hill.

I'll measure the belt and connections tomorrow along with battery and new plug, and post what I find out.

Thanks guys!
Old 08-19-2010, 06:38 PM   #9
Lakedrunk
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Well, new plug did nothing. I measured the drive belt, it's 1 1/8"

the battery shows 12.9 volts

I checked connections, and they seem fine

and I found out that when in neutral and I press on the gas the motor runs perfect.

So, now what? Clutch? Is there a way to adjust the clutch? Could that even be the problem?

Thanks again for your help!
Old 08-19-2010, 08:13 PM   #10
sabercat
gone yamaha!

Yamaha

if choking doen't help the engine start up, i'll say clutches. or your starter belt could be too loose and slipping under load = won't start the engine up hill.
for clutches= belt 1''+ wide like sho said, and check your secondary clutch's spring and c clip for damage. alsopull the cover off the primay (clutch on motor) and make sure it slides in and out freely and that the weights look ok.
sabercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha