lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-29-2010, 09:40 PM   #1
LuauLounge
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 2 Stroke Maximum RPM

After tightening down the governor, I am running about 22 MPH, I haven't yet put a tach on it. As always, looking for a little more. So, what is the safe max rpm of these motors. It's a G3A Sun Classic. Runs really well.
LuauLounge is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-30-2010, 11:41 AM   #2
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: 2 Stroke Maximum RPM

Is that the 2 stroke like a G1? I'm not sure there is one. The generator lists a max but I ran one down roads for years with no governor, decked head, ported, advanced timing, etc, on standard cart tires. It screamed....no problems. That was originally a sled motor that ran 7K rpm all the time.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 04:30 PM   #3
sabercat
gone yamaha!

Yamaha

i know on my g9 the motor is good till 5500 rpm, but the starter gen is only good till 4200 or somthing like that.
don't know how similer the starter gens are on the g9-g1 motors, thats a question for dave (smallblock450sl)
sabercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 06:12 PM   #4
Gregster
Not Yet Wild

I did the exact same thing and get the exact same max speed (22mph). I would think that even with the governor disabled you would have a hard time over reving that engine esp with bigger tires! I don't think it could do it. Now the generator is another matter, for short periods, you are likely ok.
Gregster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 07:51 PM   #5
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I'm sure the generators are similar. Mine ran at least 30 mph without a doubt, on 18" stock tires. Also had another one that ran a little slower. Those two were the fastest two carts out of 60 G1s all tested with the governor clamped...lol, then I went to work on them. Sure wish I still had old #6. When I got my G9 I thought man what a dog these 4 strokes are.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:27 PM   #6
LuauLounge
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the input....
So, the generator/starter seems to be the weak link, so how about some linkage, attached to the throttle, that disengages the generator at WOT?
Should be easy to do
Old 08-30-2010, 09:29 PM   #7
steve1920
Not Yet Wild

"Tested with the governor clamped". Where is the governor and how do you disable it? I would like to do some "testing" too, but I need to know a little more. I'm new to golf carts and 2-strokes.

Thanks,
Steve
steve1920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 11:04 PM   #8
LuauLounge
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Not trying to hijack my own thread, but has anyone done an electric clutch on the starter/generator? If the motor is good for 7k, but the gen/str isn't because it's running 14k, seems like a simple solution. Also solves the short high speed issues.

Any thoughts?
Old 08-31-2010, 12:02 AM   #9
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

It is likely you could put a larger pulley on the generator and slow it some, and still have enough power to start it. Issue here is nobody has had a problem with them failing far as I know. You could also put an idler on the belt like a lawnmower, to loosen it at speed.

To defeat the governor temporarily on a G1, get some of the small size vice grips and place them as shown; the needle nose type work best. Clamp the spring arm to the bracket. Make sure they clear the intake hose as the throttle moves! The speed adjustment screw is on the other side, on the other arm of the spring. If you run it a long time like this the increased pressure will shorten the throttle cable life and possibly the governor. One cart even broke the governor shaft in the trans, that is how I ended up modding that cart as it was unfit for service. Yeah, I didn't tell them I could split the trans and fix it lol. Golfers stuck something in there and it held the throttle open all the time.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha