lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-09-2012, 04:16 PM   #1
Wally15
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Swap DS and Precedent engines?

I have an 04 DS with a 9 HP FE 290 that I'm in the process of lifting and turning into a hunting cart. I also have an 08 Precedent 4 seater with an 11.5 HP FE 350 engine. My funds are somewhat limited, so instead of holding out for a bigger engine down the road, does it make sense to swap the two engines I have? The Precedent is used primarily on level ground, mostly hauling kids. My hunting terrain is hilly and I'm not convinced the 9 HP has enough butt to get me where I want to go, especially when I put a lift kit and 22" tires on it. How difficult is the swap? And is it worth it for 2.5 (28%) more HP in the DS?
Wally15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-09-2012, 05:01 PM   #2
tpg
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Swap DS and Precedent engines?

You will notice the increase in torque. I'd do the swap.
tpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:50 AM   #3
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

The two engines themselves will be a direct-bolt in swap, BUT... the mufflers may be a situation!

I know that the FE290 and FE350 have two totally different mufflers,
and seeing from my CC dealers website, it appears that the DS and Precedent mufflers are different also!

I don't have much experience with Precedents, only with DS's,
My only concern would be about the mounting and routing of the pipes between the Precedent and DS's,
due to the completely different frame layout between the two. (possible clearance issues)

However, I sure wouldn't mind if you proved me wrong!

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:53 AM   #4
Wally15
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Darn, I wasn't even thinking about muffler issues. Guess I'll have to put a calibrated eyeball on it. One reason I prefer the cart for hunting is it's a lot quieter than an ATV. Thanks for pointing that out. Assuming the muffler and clearance issues are not major, would you go ahead and do the swap, or hold off for something bigger (15-18 HP) next year?

Be vewwy vewwy quiet.....Elmer Fudd
Wally15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:21 AM   #5
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Yeah... I'd try the swap!

My FE350 (with just the 2 extra HP) has more torque and speed then most of the FE290's I've come across!
There's one FE290 that can beat me... and I'm surprised that he doesn't have a hole in his engine block already!

And just a note: Big Blocks are counter clockwise... both your carts are Clockwise rotation...
You'll have to have the shifter in reverse to go forward... more torque, but confusing... at first!

It's your call!

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car