lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-16-2013, 12:03 AM   #1
Dwaddle
Not Yet Wild

Default Shifting problem

Wondering what is belt tension on my club car is supposed to be took off all safety stuff installed jakes shifter and lift starting it up in neutral ok try to shift to forward or reverse it don't like it cut the cart off shifts sweet it is like clutch is still spinning I think it is in my belt it is a 4 stroke cart I can slide motor forward and backwards to adjust just need help
Dwaddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-16-2013, 08:23 AM   #2
shoelessjoe
Gone Wild

Default Re: Shifting problem

It's a little hard to decipher what you're saying (punctuation is your friend) but I think you're saying that the cart will run in neutral but not in either forward or reverse.

If that is the case I would guess either you are in maintenance mode or you made a mistake with your neutral switches when installing the Jakes shifter.

If the cart is in maintenance mode it will run in Neutral only but not in forward or reverse. Putting the cart into/out of maintenance mode is done by spinning the plastic cam located on the back of the shifter where it goes through the body. If you made a mistake with your micro switches while installing the shifter the cart may now think it is in maintenance mode even though it isn't supposed to be.

That is where I would start looking.
shoelessjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:07 AM   #3
Dwaddle
Not Yet Wild

Sorry for not speaking correctly, no the cart runs and drives , the cart does not want to shift into forward or reverse when starting it neutral, it is like the gear box does not stop spinning , I can turn the cart off and put in forward or reverse it works well . The belt tension is loose I don't know how tight belt needs to be or if that is even my problem,
Thanks
Old 04-16-2013, 09:14 AM   #4
shoelessjoe
Gone Wild

Is it set up with key start (turn the key and it starts, like a car) or with pedal start (cart is off until the gas pedal is depressed)?
Old 04-16-2013, 09:43 AM   #5
Dwaddle
Not Yet Wild

Key start
Old 04-16-2013, 11:49 AM   #6
shoelessjoe
Gone Wild

I would guess that your belt is either too tight or your idle is too high.

When in neutral (or anytime that the cart is stationary and idling) the clutch should be spinning but it shouldn't be grabbing the belt. Basically the drive clutch (on the motor) will be spinning but the belt will be stationary. Since the drive clutch is not grabbing the belt the belt is not going to be turning the driven clutch (on the transaxle) which is why the cart will stay stationary and not take off if you release the brake.

If your cart is spinning the belt while idling than it is spinning the transaxle while idling (but you're not moving since the cart is in neutral), then when you go to put it into gear it is basically like doing a neutral slam in a car which is why it won't go into gear.

I would start by dropping the idle a bit since you say the belt is loose. If you lower the idle a bit and it is still spinning the belt at idle than I would guess your belt tension is a bit too tight.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:49 PM   #7
Dwaddle
Not Yet Wild

Thanks so much I will try that as soon as I get home today . Thanks again for all the help
Old 04-17-2013, 12:22 AM   #8
Dwaddle
Not Yet Wild

Idle fixed problem thanks again
Old 04-17-2013, 05:22 AM   #9
shoelessjoe
Gone Wild

Nice!! Glad we were able to figure it out.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car