lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-09-2013, 12:04 PM   #1
jlile55
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default coil issue

Hey guys, Im new to this and hoping to get some help. Im a mechanic and a customer brought in a golf cart for me to work on. I figured it would be something easy but its kinda got me stumped.

Heres the deal.. I have no spark. I have a flickering 12v and a costant ground to what i think is called the limiter from what i have been reading. But nothing coming out. so i figured that the limiter was bad. Well come to find out they are discontinued. So then i did some reading on how to by pass it. What i did was take the wire that had the flickering 12v supply and ran it directly to the coil so that i would have power and ground to my coil. But i still have no spark and i have had my coil tested and it was good.

any help would be great. thanks a bunch.
jlile55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-10-2013, 12:28 AM   #2
invalidsession
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: coil issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlile55 View Post
Hey guys, Im new to this and hoping to get some help. Im a mechanic and a customer brought in a golf cart for me to work on. I figured it would be something easy but its kinda got me stumped.

Heres the deal.. I have no spark. I have a flickering 12v and a costant ground to what i think is called the limiter from what i have been reading. But nothing coming out. so i figured that the limiter was bad. Well come to find out they are discontinued. So then i did some reading on how to by pass it. What i did was take the wire that had the flickering 12v supply and ran it directly to the coil so that i would have power and ground to my coil. But i still have no spark and i have had my coil tested and it was good.

any help would be great. thanks a bunch.

That post is a bit confusing. Where are you supplying the coil from ? It doesn't need a supply voltage since it's a magneto system. All parts are readily available. What year make and model is the cart ? And if your near me I'd be happy to check her out mate, I'm In the "Wet State" also :(

Chris.
invalidsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:48 AM   #3
jlile55
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

haha yea it has been rather wet. and once again its raining.. but i will try to clear it up.. i will just start with my problem and we can go from there. so starting over. I have no spark. but my coil has been tested and is good. Im not sure of the year and either is the owner. But he thinks it is a 90. But no spark but coil is good. what now? thanks for the help.. who would have thought a golf cart would have me so frustrated. thanks again. i just checked the serial number and it is a 1991.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:02 PM   #4
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

I've not done it but I've heard in several places on this forum that sometimes the ignition coils can test great on the bench but not work in the cart. The gist was that there's no real good way to test them for sure. However, if your ignition coil really is OK, than it might be your exciting coil behind the flywheel that's bad. But, I'm not sure how to test the exciting coil, maybe someone else here does.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 01:44 PM   #5
jlile55
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

thanks for the help guys. so i did some reading on here and tested the exiter and it tested good. so then i did some more reading and by passed the rev limiter.. not recomended i know.. but hey im just trying to get to the problem.. so i bypassed it and boom i now have a running golf cart. But not for long. I drove it around the building and ran great and pulled in and now it wont fire. (no spark again) so im going to get another coil and try it out. with the limiter by passed and the exiter testing good.. Im going to take a guess that like you said the coil was good wen they tested it but has a short inside making it sometimes work. So Im going to get a new coil and see what happens and i will let you all know. Thanks again.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:18 PM   #6
CRZ
Not Yet Wild

My 91 will do the something work with a new plug then not spark after a hour of run time. For some reason if you pull the boot off the spark plug and just place it on top of the plug without it popping into the correct placement the cart sparks great. I'm just curious if yours is doing the same thing?

Also where did you find the rev limiter and what did you do to it?
CRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 04:46 PM   #7
jlile55
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

i have found the problem.. It is the rev limiter.. The little black box right by the coil.. Now another problem.. how can i get one? i see that the are discontinued.. i got my test light out and sometimes i the power flicker like it should and other times i dont.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:32 AM   #8
invalidsession
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springbok View Post
I've not done it but I've heard in several places on this forum that sometimes the ignition coils can test great on the bench but not work in the cart. The gist was that there's no real good way to test them for sure. However, if your ignition coil really is OK, than it might be your exciting coil behind the flywheel that's bad. But, I'm not sure how to test the exciting coil, maybe someone else here does.
Coils test ok because on the bench there is no heat issue and there is no way to get into the coil when it's hot. By the time you get to it it's cooled down and any internal issues tend not show up since the internal wiring has cooled off hence it tests ok. "My" Theory; Is that thermal breakdown occurs within the coil windings. Perhaps the varnish that insulates the wire cracks and causes a short when hot ? But whatever it is, heat appears to be the issue. Expansion of the coil windings seems to be the cause hence the failure after a run of a few minutes and the amazing re-start when everything has cooled off. It drives you crazy until you accept the fact that the coil is the culprit. A cheap spark plug tester will save you many hours of hair pulling and attest to this fact. Regarding the exciter coil; For starters, It's not behind the flywheel, It's below the engine block. Later model carts have the exciter built into the coil which is perhaps what Springbok is thinking of, early models have a separate ^^^ external unit. Early model carts will accept the later coil unit with the inbuilt ignitor (pre 96FE) but you can't use the earlier coil (cheaper pre 96) on the later model Club Cars. Pardon my ramblings but I hope that helps.

Chris.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:58 AM   #9
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by invalidsession View Post
Regarding the exciter coil; For starters, It's not behind the flywheel, It's below the engine block. Later model carts have the exciter built into the coil which is perhaps what Springbok is thinking of, early models have a separate ^^^ external unit.
Also for starters, the original poster has said the cart is a '91. On the 1984-1991 gas carts, the exciting coil is behind the flywheel and is not part of the ignition coil. 1991 was the final year for the KF82 flathead motor. So it falls into the "early model" category.

1992 and up carts with the FE290 may be set up the way you describe with the exciter below the engine block. But since we're talking about a 1991 cart, that's not relevant:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlile55 View Post
i just checked the serial number and it is a 1991.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:36 AM   #10
invalidsession
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springbok View Post
Also for starters, the original poster has said the cart is a '91. On the 1984-1991 gas carts, the exciting coil is behind the flywheel and is not part of the ignition coil. 1991 was the final year for the KF82 flathead motor. So it falls into the "early model" category.

1992 and up carts with the FE290 may be set up the way you describe with the exciter below the engine block. But since we're talking about a 1991 cart, that's not relevant:

I missed that bit

Chris.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car