lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-17-2012, 08:50 AM   #1
PIB-My-Ride
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default The Gover-nator

My cart has a zipped-tied governor spring and a functional rev limiter. This gets me to about 22 mph at 4100 RPM when the limiter kicks in. I would like to adjust the governor to keep the revs near or below 4,000.

I've also noticed decreased amount of torque lately. When carrying passengers, it needs a long stretch to reach max speed. I suspected a weak spring.

I discussed this with a local dealer, and he believes the zip-tie, not the driven clutch, is responsible for the performance issue. (I've never adjusted the throttle rod, and he didn't bring it up)

He recommended removing the tie and loosening and lubricating the governor arm at the post instead.

I'm willing to try the theory, but I'm not sure I fully understand how the governor works in the first place. It appears that the post from the gearbox turns with the axle, and friction from the clamp on the arm torques the governor arm against the spring to reduce throttle. It makes sense that by restricting the spring, or by loosening the grip of the arm on the post, that the governor function is relaxed or defeated. What doesn't make sense is that it seems crude - friction doesn't seem like a reliable way to control speed, yet governors are very consistent.

What am I missing?
PIB-My-Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-17-2012, 08:48 PM   #2
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Default Re: The Gover-nator

Here's my opinion... I think your torque loss is somewhere else!

With your rev limiter intact, I feel that the zip tie is your best alternative to keep within the limits of the limiter,
loosening the governor arm will just make your limiter kick in more often!
and yet... you probably still won't see any better torque because of it!
With my experience with the zip tie mod... I have NEVER seen any torque loss!

I'd consider trying a "severe duty" belt, or driven clutch spring!

my .02
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:00 AM   #3
PIB-My-Ride
Getting Wild

Club Car

I think you're right. The belt was new last year and still looks good. The driven clutch, an eBay special, is suspect. (I've never had success on eBay before - not sure why I thought this would be an exception!)

What's your take on my understanding of the governor? Is it really just friction?
PIB-My-Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:04 AM   #4
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIB-My-Ride View Post
I think you're right. The belt was new last year and still looks good. The driven clutch, an eBay special, is suspect. (I've never had success on eBay before - not sure why I thought this would be an exception!)

What's your take on my understanding of the governor? Is it really just friction?
you said it yourself E-bay.......trust nothing or no one there you,ll end up saving money and headaches....................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 01:31 PM   #5
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIB-My-Ride View Post
To be honest... I don't know... I've never had a trans-axle, or... my 07 "unitized" trans-axle apart to see how it works.
But, by just the looks of it in my Illustrated Parts Manual, it appears to be "centrifugal",
(similar to a drive clutch, it slides with varying RPM's... but, don't quote me on that!)

#14 is the governor assembly, #10 is the governor sleeve and #19 is just a washer.
how everything ties together from the gears, to the assembly, to the arm...
#17 to #14 to #11??? I have no clue!

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car