lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-28-2022, 08:41 AM   #411
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default OBC Bypassing

Quote:
Originally Posted by armch33 View Post
I have a 2010 club car ds villager that is a little different and I’m wanting to understand if the process is essentially the same. It came with an on-board charger and extension cord that I would love to remove along with the OBC. I’m planning to install two 48 volt lithium eagle batteries from bigbatteries.com. This comes with its own charger.

1. When the instructions state to cut the black negative cable that is attached to the charger can that step be skipped if I won’t use that charger? Can’t I just go from the black negative battery main pack to the new charger?

2. Can the main negative that goes from the controller B - through the OBC be reused by pulling it through the hole and attaching a new wire lug to connect to the battery?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Yes and yes. Your new charger port will go straight to the + and - of your new batteries, and the controller negative cable goes straight to the B- as well. You can pull it out of the OBC if desired.
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-31-2022, 08:28 AM   #412
armch33
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: OBC Bypassing

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeL View Post
Yes and yes. Your new charger port will go straight to the + and - of your new batteries, and the controller negative cable goes straight to the B- as well. You can pull it out of the OBC if desired.
Everything worked well. Had one wire that wasn’t completely secure when I changed out the main positive cable from the solenoid which caused an issue but after that was resolved it is working well.
armch33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 08:18 PM   #413
Reuter5
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

We have a 99 DS. We converted it from a 36v resistor to a 48v solid state. We bypassed and just added the correct gauge wire to the main's.
Reuter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 04:57 PM   #414
RCEBOAT586
Not Yet Wild

1999 club car ds series 48volt with no "tow/run" switch, just F/R. I have installed a Summit II charger under my rear seat and wired it directly to my batteries. I have completely removed the old charging port and all wires (#10 blk and grey wire), and have completely removed the obc with a new Neg cable from battery to controller. I have also removed the yellow wire from solenoid neg and ran a new constant neg to the the solenoid. My plug to the former obc had 3 wires: red, brown, and yellow. I assume the yellow is the negative but do I need to do anything with the red and brown wires at the cart end of the plug or just leave them not plugged into anyting? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
RCEBOAT586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 12:29 PM   #415
DaveMJ
Gone Wild

Club Car

Leave them be.

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk
DaveMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 08:35 PM   #416
HarryT
Gone Wild

If I bypass the OBC on my 2012 Precedent, can I use the Eric charger with the yellow cord from a 2016 Precedent? Will there be any problems?
Harry
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 11:18 AM   #417
Jmuoio81213
Getting Wild
Club Car

Why bypass it if you don't need to? If you need a new charger, I wouldn't blanch at the prospect, but otherwise I'd leave it alone. Folks in this forum recommended I leave mine alone and I'm glad I took their advice. VoltAmp said it best..."I can think of better ways to spend a few hundred bucks".
Jmuoio81213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 02:11 PM   #418
HarryT
Gone Wild

My question was, could I use an Eric if I bypassed the OBC. The reason being that my PD3 was stolen and I could not find a PD locally and shipping was out of the question. I had an Eric with a yellow cord from a 2016 that would not work on my 2012 without bypassing the OBC. The problem has been solved as I finally found a PD3 locally.
My original question was never answered, but I would still like to know for future reference if that Eric charger with a yellow cord from s 2016 would have worked on my 2012 if I had bypassed the OBC.
The reason being that I have access to a 2013 Precedent for a good price that the owner says his battery charger was stolen and I believe it would have been a PD3.
Thanks;
Harry
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 01:09 PM   #419
Beerman24
Gone Wild

Club Car

Am I correct that after bypassing the OBC that the little orange battery light no longer works and can be removed? Thanks
Beerman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 01:44 PM   #420
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerman24 View Post
Am I correct that after bypassing the OBC that the little orange battery light no longer works and can be removed? Thanks
Correct. Lots of people remove it and cut the hole out slightly larger to fit a voltmeter in that spot.
https://www.cartsunlimited.net/led-battery-meters.html
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car