lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Melex

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-01-2016, 12:10 PM   #1
NCMau
Not Yet Wild

Default Two Questions, Melex 112.

Question 1. I am rewiring a 112 and I don’t see a fuse in the diagram. I am thinking about ordering a 60A bolt-on fuse. Is this what is normally used for this 57A motor system?

Question 2. The wiring diagram has a symbol shaped like a half circle or half sphere. It does not exist in my cart so I have no idea what it is. Apparently it is not something essential because from what I can see it should work without it. Ideas?
NCMau is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-01-2016, 01:49 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Two Questions, Melex 112.

This may have without a fuse. If used a main current fuse should be 250 - 400a. I think 250 is small. Look for ANA400 fuse IMO.

The symbol is probably a varistor. I have seen more of these carts running without than with this component - so I guess it'll be okay
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 03:40 PM   #3
NCMau
Not Yet Wild

[QUOTE=scottyb;1259820]This may have without a fuse. If used a main current fuse should be 250 - 400a. I think 250 is small. Look for ANA400 fuse IMO.

I guess you're right. This model probably does not have a fuse. Never the less I like to install one. But I don't understand why it has to be one that large when the system can only produce a maximum of 57A. If a short would ever occur, the motor and the wires would fry before the fuse (250-400A) would kick in. I am probably missing something here.
Old 04-01-2016, 06:57 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

[quote=NCMau;1259845]
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
This may have without a fuse. If used a main current fuse should be 250 - 400a. I think 250 is small. Look for ANA400 fuse IMO.

I guess you're right. This model probably does not have a fuse. Never the less I like to install one. But I don't understand why it has to be one that large when the system can only produce a maximum of 57A. If a short would ever occur, the motor and the wires would fry before the fuse (250-400A) would kick in. I am probably missing something here.
The battery pack can give up 300-500 amps for a dead short. More than enough to weld with. I dunno where you are getting 57a from ... maybe a motor rating running wide open down the road? But stick the cart in a creek bed and she will draw a lot more that trying to free herself.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 08:17 AM   #5
NCMau
Not Yet Wild

[quote=scottyb;1259893]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCMau View Post

The battery pack can give up 300-500 amps for a dead short. More than enough to weld with. I dunno where you are getting 57a from ... maybe a motor rating running wide open down the road? But stick the cart in a creek bed and she will draw a lot more that trying to free herself.
Thanks for the info. I guess I was thinking about the motor only. If a #6 wire would short, it can easily take the motor out.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Melex