lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-31-2019, 07:31 AM   #11
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Default Re: What Is The Status Of EVBattery Center?

I like the Leaf modules myself, as they are built rugged enough to handle a golf carts demand with a single stack of modules in series. The biggest issue on eBay is finding enough matching capacity modules from a car with low enough miles to still have decent capacity.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-31-2019, 09:49 AM   #12
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

From what I have seen the Leaf modules are the easiest to use for our application. Volt batteries are probably fine but they are not easily broken down into the number of cells we want. It's a crap shoot to buy used batteries on Ebay IMO. I'm not sure what I will do when I want to purchase another set.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 10:16 AM   #13
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

It is also important to note that Leaf batteries were engineered to be air cooled and the Volt batteries use liquid cooling.

I have seen some Leaf modules for sale that include a printout from a discharge test showing the actual amphours measured, of course you need to trust it is from the actual module being sold.

I think most sellers just apply the standard miles/age derating curve when they specify the capacity of the cells.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 11:41 AM   #14
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Volt batteries should be fine without the cooling in our applications IMO. They are pouch cells. Cooling of Leaf batteries is minimal - which has been a problem for the Leaf in warmer climates.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:56 AM   #15
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Maybe so, but golf cart applications demand a lot more current from the cells than a car application due to much reduced voltage levels being used.
Old 01-31-2019, 02:22 PM   #16
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
Maybe so, but golf cart applications demand a lot more current from the cells than a car application due to much reduced voltage levels being used.
Not really. We are generating far less HP / Torque as well. Leaf runs 48 modules in series which is about 350 Volts. We are running 14S or about 52 volts. Golf carts don't go very fast and don't weigh much. I would say we demand less average current at least in my application. And I am running 14 modules so each module is only seeing half of the total current.
Old 01-31-2019, 02:36 PM   #17
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The Nissan leaf pack has a 96s2p arrangement or 48 modules in Series.

If you had a current discharge of 60 amps per hour you could only drive for 1 hour before that pack was fully discharged.

I don't think they generate the range they get unless the discharge current is a lot less than a golf cart.
Old 01-31-2019, 04:14 PM   #18
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
The Nissan leaf pack has a 96s2p arrangement or 48 modules in Series.

If you had a current discharge of 60 amps per hour you could only drive for 1 hour before that pack was fully discharged.

I don't think they generate the range they get unless the discharge current is a lot less than a golf cart.
The first generation 32.5 A/H cells were engineered for a discharge current rate of 90 Amps, so 180 Amps for the 2S2P configuration of a module. I have been unable to find the engineered discharge current rate for the 56.3 A/H cells used in the new generation 4S2P 2018+ Nissan Leaf modules.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 04:19 PM   #19
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

My point was due to having a transmission and using a higher voltage setup the cells are subject to less current demand on a Nissan Leaf car application than when the cells are used in a Golf cart application.

The 2018 Nissan has the same net number of cells as before, they are just packed in doubles (4s2p as you mentioned).
https://pushevs.com/2018/01/29/2018-...ry-real-specs/
Old 01-31-2019, 04:26 PM   #20
brad2388
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Whats the limits of these carts as far as stock battery voltage? Why not use 8 or 9 leaf cells?
brad2388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO