lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-16-2022, 07:26 PM   #31
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Default Re: So..Who's selling a good BMS system for a 48V Lithium Ion Leaf pack?

Well…I decided to just order a lower wattage soldering iron & the solder removal wick. I’ll attack it and report …good or bad…the result.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-16-2022, 08:23 PM   #32
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: So..Who's selling a good BMS system for a 48V Lithium Ion Leaf pack?

I thought your son was helping you Dave.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 08:48 AM   #33
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat911 View Post
I thought your son was helping you Dave.
Yeah.....well....right now he's "in the middle" of his own household's flu epidemic. With 4 kids in a "series barf" along with his wife tossing her cookies it's a rough patch. They are suppose to come here (from MI to PA) for Christmas....but even that's up in the air.

They are building a new house that will be ready in mid January, and they just sold their house....he has a "POD" storage unit in his driveway for stuff a mover is likely to break.

He's got his hands full right now.
Old 12-17-2022, 04:20 PM   #34
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

You can never rely on the kids.
Old 12-17-2022, 09:39 PM   #35
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat911 View Post
You can never rely on the kids.
So true….So true..!!
Old 12-20-2022, 02:09 PM   #36
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Welp....a few updates:

#1--I had an old Dell laptop that's sitting in the junk pile. I pulled it apart to get to the main board to practice a little "unsoldering". I was using my old (and very clunky) hand "pistol" type of soldering iron. The chips that I removed came out pretty easily. I would not attempt any board soldering with the sort of uncontrollable size of this iron. The one coming is a finger held type and a lower wattage.

#2--With the impending\approaching snow and then sub freezing temps, it looks like my Son & his MI gang may not make the trip. Let's see...4 kids under the age of 12....4.5\hr drive.....temps of 9-degrees.....blowing and accumulating snow....What could go wrong?
Old 12-20-2022, 02:37 PM   #37
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Good idea to practice on a sacrificial board.
Old 12-21-2022, 04:42 PM   #38
DaveTM
Gone Wild

So...I may be going "down the rabbit hole"....and the wrong rabbit hole as well.

Today was the attempt to separate the existing LCD screen from the "board" it was attached to (via 33 soldered pins) while trying not to damage that little board.

At first, I attempted to do what I've been "practicing" to do and melt the solder while also trying to "wick out" the solder. Ok...solder would melt....but not wick out enough to separate the two boards.

Different approach #2--Took a small fine file and "filed down" (carefully) the pins that stood up on the board side....in an attempt to have less "pin surface" for solder to stick. Again, tried melting and wicking....not enough to separate.

And at this point, I'm not concerned that I've damaged the board as I was very careful on the "filing" part to not cut thru that board material. But....who knows?

Different approach #3--Since I can't seem to wick out enough solder from each of the 33 (mebby 34?) tiny PITA pins, I considered cutting the pins to separate the two boards.....but I did not have tiny wire cutters that would fit in that small space. So, (and you can begin to cringe now) I decided that if I can get the boards apart, I could remove each little pin from the small board that I needed. So.....out came the hacksaw with a fine tooth blade, and I cut through the plastic side of the existing LCD screen (which is getting replaced).

LCD was getting trashed anyway. So...as Pic #1 shows here was my post hack saw cut, with a few pins removed. Removal went fairly smooth when you can do this one at a time. Pic #2 shows the aftermath of the little pins.

And finally, pics #3 & #4 show the new LCD attached to the board.....but not yet soldered to the board.

Now, when I got the screen and board back together, I tried to just plug it into the BMS. The screen powered up....but I got only a completely white screen. I could hit the touch screen, and "beeps" would occur, but I still had no idea of what the beep was doing.

I attribute this to the pins not being soldered. A close look (using my magnification headset) shows some pins are not touching the round female receptacle. Anyway...that's my guess.

I'm done with this for the day and will attempt the solder part tomorrow or Friday. All I know is tiny pieces of solder make for tiny solder footprints. I also know that there is only an outside chance of this solving the issue anyway....but for $12 and a slow boat from China.....why not?

Any thoughts.....please post!

Old 12-21-2022, 04:50 PM   #39
DaveTM
Gone Wild

And....just a "PS"....for you sharp eyed engineering type folks, you may notice that the "Little black" square (well...it was black if you look at the first few post on this thread) right above the plug, has turned white.

It didn't really but the little black cover that was lightly glued on has come off. I will re-glue this (very carefully) using arrow fletching glue. (Bow 'n arrow stuff). But, mebby not as I don't really know what purpose it serves.....but I've thought...if someone put it there...there's a reason for it.
Old 12-21-2022, 05:25 PM   #40
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

I will make the suggestion although at this point, it may not be worth while... https://www.ebay.com/itm/40320739084...mis&media=COPY
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO