lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-20-2023, 02:57 PM   #1
somfas
Gone Wild

Default Samsung NMC vs LFP Lithium Pros and Cons

I am looking at a pack using Samsung cells. A lot of places are saying that the LFP batteries will last much longer than the NMC. But of course, some are saying that is not true. Anyone on here have strong opinions on using one or the other? Or have any knowledge of the Samsung batteries?
somfas is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-20-2023, 04:01 PM   #2
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Samsung NMC vs LFP Lithium Pros and Cons

Samsung are very good batteries, some of the best available.

On paper LiFePO4 has a longer life than NMC, but it will always come down to how well you treat your cells. Treated well, NMC will last a long time, 2000+ cycles.

LiFePO4 is also safer to use than NMC and doesn’t experience thermal runaway as easily as NMC. Make sure you know what you’re doing with NMC as the BMS wiring and configuration must be spot on for the pack to be safe to use.

NMC has a higher energy density and higher current delivery than LiFePO4.

There are other differences but these are the main ones.

Do you have specs on the pack you’re considering?

I use NMC in my cart by the way.

Cheers
Pat.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 05:10 PM   #3
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

^ I agree with everything Pat Said.. NMC is smaller size for the same output but they are also the type of chemistry you see thats responsible for the negative EV car fire press and memes on social media.

That said I have tons or NMC 18650 batteries I have harvested from old laptops and Ive made battery packs for all sorts of things with them. Ive never had an issue and Ive even brought many back from the dead which is NOT recommended with larger cells.
Many phones use nmc batteries too and they are safe enough to carry in our pockets (well except for the samsung S7 fiasco a few years back).
lifepo4 has a much longer life if used at a lower c rate of discharge like for solar... when used in EVs the lifespan of each becomes more comparable from what ive read.
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 06:35 PM   #4
somfas
Gone Wild

A friend of mine knows a guy that builds Samsung packs. New Samsung factory built packs. 22s 80v 94ah 7.6kwh.
Old 01-20-2023, 06:39 PM   #5
somfas
Gone Wild

battery pack.png
Old 01-20-2023, 08:09 PM   #6
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by somfas View Post
I recognize the JK bms... decent quality but I didnt think they made them in a high enough continuous amp rating for a golf cart. EDIT I did some checking and the largest bms of that type can handle 200amps RMS and 350 max peak which is fine for a stock or mildly modified cart. looks like a well thought out built pack.
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 09:20 PM   #7
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Ezgo Lithium carts that I have seen come with Samsung packs. Samsung makes very good 18650 batteries - I use them in my RC stuff.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO