lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-22-2023, 09:15 PM   #1
ThatSloanGuy
Not Yet Wild

Talking Controller/Motor Fire - Video

ught a 2010 Columbia Parcar SMT4 that wasn’t running and after a little diagnostics I realized although I heard the solenoid close, it was not actually closing the main contacts when the coil picked up (verified with multimeter). I had a similar HD 48V contractor on hand so I installed it and man oh man was it bad when I turned the key switch.

Video attached, but essentially I was in the front of the cart and couldn’t really see the controller and motor until it was too late. I am not sure if the motor failed which then caused the controller to fail or what, but as you can see in the video….. it got crazy fast.

I am looking for generic motor/controller combos that will be a relatively easy swap - I know the controller is toast and am assuming the motor is too.

2010 Columbia SMT4-TN
48V
Controller: SEVCON 633T45319
Motor: Can’t tell model, but judging by the parts diagram, appears to be the “HD” version of the 2010 motor due to having the venting ports on the motor.

I appreciate all help and recommendations!

https://streamable.com/a8h048
ThatSloanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-23-2023, 08:37 AM   #2
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

Default Re: Controller/Motor Fire - Video

dammmmn , that went south quick
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 10:24 AM   #3
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Years ago…when my cart was mebby a year old, I had some issue with it. Not even owning a MM at the time, I foolishly used a small 120V test light to trace current. I zigged when I should have zagged & the controller just Stuart spewing this dark black smoke…I mean like WOW!!

Bought a MM along with a new $400 controller. Lesson learned. Use a MM and care when diagnosing these machines.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 07:42 PM   #4
SolarRat
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Were those sparks coming from the controller? Wow. There's obviously a dead short somewhere, so check the wiring before installing new parts. Make sure the battery negative isn't grounded to the frame, because that might explain things. I'd disconnect the motor and jump it to 12 or 24v to test it out, might be fine.
SolarRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts