lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-28-2008, 07:20 PM   #1
inline6power
Getting Wild

Default i need your opinion

ok i just installed a 8 inch lift with some 24 in tires and may go to a 12inch kit with some 27 tires. my question is, i got a buddy here in town thats got a brand new drop in motor for my buggy in my sig thats big HP. my question is can i just drop in a motor and it will give me more power or do i HAVE to have a new controller or what do i need? got good top end speed, but with the new lift and tires, its a dog off the line. any helpe is greatly apprciated. thansk
inline6power is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-28-2008, 07:28 PM   #2
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Default Re: i need your opinion

A DC motor as used in a golf cart depends on AMPS to work at peak efficiency. Your stock controller will only allow 275 amps to flow to the motor before it shuts down. or worse, burns up. You must match the motor and controller combo to the intended useage and configuration. 27" tires are very hard on a stock controller/motor drivetrain.

It starts getting expensive now...
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 09:19 PM   #3
inline6power
Getting Wild

so am i better to start off getting a new motor or getting a bad boy controller? will a controller alone give me more power than what i am already getting?
Old 04-28-2008, 09:28 PM   #4
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

AMPS = TORQUE
VOLTAGE = RPM

Yes, a new high amp controller will give you more torque on your stock motor. I believe your cart is a DCS. Alltrax makes a 500 amp unit that is VERY good with your drivetrain. Increase it to 48v and you will be very happy.
You are also gonna need a HD solenoid, and some 4g welding cable. Your F/R switch is fine if you are DCS.

Now, if you want to go hard core......$$$$$$$
Old 04-28-2008, 09:30 PM   #5
inline6power
Getting Wild

sweet, thats all i am lookin for right now. i am very happy with the top end speed as its a dog off the line now. all i want is some more low end grunt. how much for the controller?
Old 04-28-2008, 09:40 PM   #6
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

I have not needed to price one, but I suspect $450 or so. Plenty of places carry Alltrax, including some site sponsors here. I believe the model is DCX500.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO