lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-03-2011, 06:03 PM   #1
glider
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Carryall 6 passenger starts with key

I just picked up a used carryall airport 6passenger shuttle. Really nice and has heavy duty rear seats/bed. Has fe350 engine and runs great. To start you have to put in desired gear and turn the key just like you would start a car. It will start turning over the engine but it wont crank until you give it a little gas. It will then start running and runs great. When you come to a stop the engine dies but still trys to run until you turn the key off or give it gas and it starts running again. If you try to switch from Forward to reverse it will stop turning over(even if you keep the gas pressed it still shuts off) and you have to turn the key to start again. Note the key has a off, run and momentary start position.

Does anyone have a similiar setup? How can I make it like a regular golf cart?

Thanks
glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-03-2011, 06:53 PM   #2
rmarcusy
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Carryall 6 passenger starts with key

there should be a micro switch, it may be stuck or bypassed, It should activate(close) when the GO ,foot switch, is first pushed.
rmarcusy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:40 PM   #3
JcXtreme72
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I have 2 club car villager 6's. Under the front seat connected to the shifter is 2 micro switches. They are connected to the plastic almost triangle piece that you pull and turn to activate "maintenence" mode. There is also a micro switch in the throttle box that pulls the throttle cable. When in maintence mode it will turn over but only fire in nuetral and in regular mode it will die if you try to rev it up in neutral. On both the carts you start it like you said like a car but can switch the shifter to any position with the engine maintaining an idle. When I first fire it up you can hear the starter/gen turning it over then you can tell when the motor kicks in. Once in a great while it will die and I'll have to start it again but it doesn't die every time I change gears or let off the gas. I'd suggest checking you spark plug. Oh and check for dirt or corrosion under the wire connectors on the micro switches. Best way to check those with out touching anything is to hold the key in the start position and hit the gas if it revs up holding the key and then dies when you don't then it's the micro switchs. Usually the one that is towards the rear of the cart and not the one that is closest to the actual shift lever. Also I've noticed over time that they tend to build up moisture under the red dirt cap for the gas guage make sure that stays clean and dry from time to time or your gas gauge will just sit and blink random bars. Let me know if you need to know anything else about it I'm here to help. And I'll save you the trouble. I called Jake's lifts and the 6" spindle kit will work with the front brakes and the stock cables will reach. Also the cable disk brake kit that CCP sells won't work on the front according to CCP.
JcXtreme72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:55 AM   #4
glider
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the replys. I found another thread where a person mentioned "key start". Didn't know that was an option on golf carts. I went out and played with the cart in maintenance mode and realized the idle screw was adjusted way too low. After warming up and a couple of turns with screw driver you can start in gear and it idles great. Hit the gas and your off. It does still die every time you change gears. I haven't tried to start in neutral except when in maintenace mode. Could be the micro switches mentioned cause it die because when you change gears the connection is temporarily lost, which would result in the start sequence needed again. Regular carts may be the same and no one notices because the pedal acts as the start switch. That make sense?
Old 11-04-2011, 12:12 PM   #5
JcXtreme72
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Glad it was an easy fix for you. When it dies in neutral hit the gas and see if it fires back up if not then turn and hold the key to start it will bypass the micro switches and it will tell you fast if that's where you need to look. To me it sounds like the micro switch for sure but you are supposed to be able to idle in neutral so I'd personally check the micro switch in the throttle box under the second seat on the driver side that has the throttle cable coming out of it. It might not be switching correctly so the shifter micro switch kicks in in neutral and that one isn't so the system "thinks" that you are pressing the gas and killing it.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:14 PM   #6
JcXtreme72
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Sorry for the double post but what I did in my personal one is just unplug the micro switch on the back of the shift that is farthest from the plastic. It allows you to use the throttle at any time. No maintence mode no normal mode and no engine dying.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:00 PM   #7
4vertical
Gone Wild

Club Car

my transporter starts with a key. it runs till you shut it off no matter where the gear selector is. was this way when i got it. i don't know if it is stock or has been messed with but it works for me!
4vertical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 08:52 AM   #8
glider
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Got it thanks.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car