lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!
Extreme DC! Extreme Electric Golf Carts!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-20-2014, 07:32 PM   #1
jacef8
Getting Wild

Default Charge Times

20 years ago my parents bought us what i believe was an EZGO 3 wheeled electric cart. I remember the days oh hoping whoever used it last the day before didn't just leave it where it died and they hooked it up to the charger properly. If they didn't i remember many many Saturday mornings waking up disappointed because back then it seemed like it took all day to charge the batteries that would only last a few hard hours of use as a kid. That cart lasted only a few years and was my last real experience with electric carts. So my question is how have the charge times changed since then? How long to charge on average a 48v pack, a 72 volt pack?
jacef8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-21-2014, 06:15 AM   #2
arcitech
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Charge Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacef8 View Post
20 years ago my parents bought us what i believe was an EZGO 3 wheeled electric cart. I remember the days oh hoping whoever used it last the day before didn't just leave it where it died and they hooked it up to the charger properly. If they didn't i remember many many Saturday mornings waking up disappointed because back then it seemed like it took all day to charge the batteries that would only last a few hard hours of use as a kid. That cart lasted only a few years and was my last real experience with electric carts. So my question is how have the charge times changed since then? How long to charge on average a 48v pack, a 72 volt pack?
Battery technology for Golf carts hasn't changed much in the years, but the newer chargers are designed to prolong battery life and automatically charge the pack to a full charge every time (if used correctly). Your questions leaves a lot of "It depends" types of answers. The charge time is proportional to the discharge state of the batteries (you should avoid letting lead acid batteries get below 50% charge), the condition of the batteries (clean contacts, full distilled water, age, matching set of batteries), and the type of charger. All things being equal, the charge times can be anywhere between 2 to 6+ hours, like I said, "It depends"!

Personally I like to charge as soon as I get the cart home, and leave it plugged in until the charger shuts off automatically (many older chargers just have a timer knob). If it isn't being used, it gets charged once a week in the warm months and once a month in the winter (Mild here in Hampton Roads).

Since I don't turn a mechanical knob on my charger any more, I can only guess that my 36v TXT takes about 5-6 hours charge time after a day of running people and coolers down the beach (12-15 miles total per day). I'm usually asleep before the charger is done, but some late nights I have walked past the cart and the charger was done.
arcitech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 07:09 PM   #3
jacef8
Getting Wild

I know there is never a definate answer on a subject like this but I still feel like its a valid question. Based on average use with todays batteries and chargers, what kind of times do most people see in order to gain a full charge. from 50% to full, from limp mode to full? Just to give me an idea and to reassure me that electric is the way I want to go. Thanks.
Old 05-23-2014, 06:01 PM   #4
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Depends on the charger. A 15A charger ought to charge 50% discharged batteries in about 8-10 hours. If you got a 25A charger that would shorten to about 5-7 hours. Either way you go to bed and it's ready the next day.
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 04:30 PM   #5
jacef8
Getting Wild

Ok that sounds reasonable.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!