lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!
Extreme DC! Extreme Electric Golf Carts!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-19-2014, 08:59 PM   #1
jacef8
Getting Wild

Default How to choose motor controller

I am in the infant stages of planning my first personal build. have helped alot on others but never one of my own. Been doing alot of research on this site as well as others to try and find out what components to use in my application. But for a general rule, how should controllers be picked out, have read a few vague bits of information but nothing that gives me the confidence to buy my own. So the question to everyone is how do you choose your controllers? On a side note, how do you choose your motors? I'm looking for moderate speed, more critically range. Thanks in advance.
jacef8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-20-2014, 12:10 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: How to choose motor controller

Start by answering a few simple questions. Then a knowledgeable technician can recommend components that will meet your needs.

Customer basic cart questions

What make & year is your cart?
Which drive system (series or sepex)
What size tires? (aluminum or steel wheels)
Will any accessories add weight (cargo box or rear seat)
How many people will ride on it?
What type of terrain? (flat, hilly, Steep)
What kind of footing? (mud, sand, pavement)
What speed are you looking for (specify if speed is important)
what voltage will the cart operate on?

Your answer will help me give the best advice.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 11:58 AM   #3
jacef8
Getting Wild

Default Re: How to choose motor controller

It is a 2007 club car DS. Its a 48 volt cart and i believe it is a series motor on a 48v system. I am not looking for a an extreme amount of speed. 20-25 max since it will be shared and used by the family. Don't want any accidents. Most important to me is run time and torque. The terrain in my area is mostly flat, a few minor hills. The cart would be used on mostly dirt roads on our farm, but the wife does like to take a family members cart roughly 5 miles into town on the pavement to see the kids grandma and pick up a gallon of milk on a nice day. I remember reading about one particular controller that people really liked due to it being fully sealed from the elements but I dont remember the name of it. That is appealing to me since I live in FL and get lots of rain on these dirt roads. Typically the cart has two people on it, me and my wife however you can never rule out a few kids packed in there. Not only am I wanting information on this specific cart but I am new to carts but have really enjoyed learning about the modifications people have been doing to their carts and the performance they have been able to produce. So any general information, rules of thumb, on future builds would be nice as well.
jacef8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!