lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-14-2009, 09:04 PM   #1
RonP
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default New member, some questions before cart purchase

Hey folks, what an awesome site you all have.

I just recently started shopping around for a cart to use to get around the drag strip when I am not racing. Also want to use it for some around the house yard work.

I am looking primarily at EZGO's right now although I am not against another brand. SO far I am considering a 2006 TXT 36 Volt Electric PDS EZGO Golf Cart and a 1996 TXT 36V cart. Both carts are lifted with jakes kits and both have new batteries and lights and so on. The 2006 is a 6inch kit with 22's I believe and the 96 is a 4in with 20's i think.

The gentlemen rebuilds all these carts and they look amazing. It looks brand new all over. I have a fairly large grade in my back yard and am concerned about the cart getting up it. He tells me that the 2006 is easier to upgrade and currently has a "blue" chip of some sort that he said will help with getting up the hill. He said it might be a problem for the 96 cart. The 96 is obviously cheaper, but I don't want to make a mistake here.

Can the 96 be made to go as good as the 2006 PDS?

Also does anyone use one for the dragstrip? I have a 28ft trailer and I would like to have the cart in the trailer before I put the car it. Anyone have an idea how long these carts are from front tires to back of rear seat foot rest?

sorry for the long post. I appreciate any input.
RonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-14-2009, 09:51 PM   #2
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: New member, some questions before cart purchase

If this seller rebuilds carts for fun / living, then he should know that you don't want to lift a PDS cart. The PDS will require a controller upgrade, so a chip is a mute point.

Second - Do any of the carts have complete 4 gauge cable sets? If not, the strike #2 for your guy...

What prices is he asking? The '96 concerns are 14 year old electronics, brakes, charger and steering.

More info needed

Factory EZGO - Bad Boy Buggy - Dixie Chopper Mowers
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 10:12 PM   #3
RonP
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Wow thanks for the great response. I can't answer it all now, but I know he mentioned something about the cables. I don't know much about the guy. He said they redo about 100-125 carts a year. I mean the things look nothing like other carts I have went and looked at. They take them down to the frame. I redo cars and the work looks awesome. I also know that looks aren't everything.

So you shouldn't lift a PDS cart? I see so many of them lifted. A lift is really an absolute for what I want, it just looks cool to me.

I also do electronics for the Marine Coprs for the last 22 years so i understand the need for better cables, but is that needed even if they don't have better controllers? He said the only add on was that blue chip thing. I didn't ask about brakes but he said the use new bushings and stuff for all the steering on them. They both seem to have much tighter steering than other si have looked at.

oh the 2006 Red cart is 3295.00 and the 1996 blue cart is 2495.00

Thanks again. This is worse than car shopping.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:42 PM   #4
aceflyerswa
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I notice you said "just recently started looking" take your time and look everywhere. I bought mine off craigslist for 3 grand, it's a 2007 TXT.I also read a lot on this forum before I pulled the trigger.
aceflyerswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 11:24 AM   #5
miferrel
Gone Crazy

Club Car

to bgw
miferrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 01:20 PM   #6
LostHusker
Just one day at a time

E-Z-GO

Welcome !!!
LostHusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 04:53 PM   #7
RonP
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks Folks, I spend most my time on drag racing sites and diesel truck sites. I never imagined there would be so much interest in these Golf Carts. It's pretty amazing.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:38 PM   #8
K9Kev
Say What ???

E-Z-GO

Ron,

From the sounds of things, you may want to ask the seller about what type of upgrades he is doing to the electrical and controllers...if any.

As Mike (MMT) stated, lifting a PDS or DCS cart is gonna be more $$$ as you definately need to get a controller and cables for it to turn them bigger tires and to run up hills.

Now, on the other hand, if the 96 is a series cart, controllers, motors, etc are usually cheaper.

Since both are lifted and the 96 (Blue one if I'm correct) still has the smaller wheels on it, I'm thinking the seller knows that it would need a hotter controller to run well so, your gonna need to decide which way is best for you.

There is a TON of info on here about controllers and lefting a PDS cart and the same for lifting a series motored cart. If the seller is doing these carts all the time, you don't have to rush. Take a week or so and read all you can and then see what you want to do.

There is always a third option as well. If your into working on cars, you may want to buy a stock type cart and do the mods yourself. That way you get the best parts within your budget and do the upgrades the way you want them. If you can find a good cart in the 1200-1500 range, you can add the lift, controller, motor etc, for around what your gonna give the seller of these carts......and it will be done your way.

But that's just my .02

Good luck,

K9
K9Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 07:27 PM   #9
RonP
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

K9, thanks for the great post. Yeah I need to do some thinking. I am going back to this place Friday to test drive a couple as it was pouring when I went to look at them.

One things is for sure, nothing mechanical scares me and I love wrenching so maybe I will look into doing the stuff myself. I need to look on here for the best place to buy things like lifts, wheels, controllers and stuff.

I need to read up on the series/PDS thing and all that. Is there a tech post on here that explains the dif's and what years each were? I searched but maybe I am not wording things right.

Thanks again
Old 12-15-2009, 07:39 PM   #10
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Let me rephrase something. A lifted PDS is OK, but just plan on buying a new controller to handle the bigger tires / wheels. The 1996 would have to have a BUCNH of new parts on it to justify the purchase. I'm also going to assume that the 2006 has the original batteries? Look for what lift kits were used. Since I'm seeing rear seat kits, make sure that they have 4 leaf rear leaf springs on them.

You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig. We see alot of "nice" looking carts that were poorly built - unknowing to the buyer - as they were shopping by what they saw on the outside.

At those prices, I'm going to assume that corners have been cut!

Factory EZGO - Bad Boy Buggy - Dixie Chopper Mowers
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO