lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-03-2021, 03:27 PM   #1
PD4
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default 91 EZGO 3pg - Just Top End Rebuild Needed?

I have my 91 ezgo 3pg engine out, and the piston is shot. I purchased the cart a year ago and it ran great for awhile, then started giving me trouble. When I finally pulled the motor, I noticed there was no head gasket at all, which likely led to the broken ring and damaged piston. Also have a little bit of damage at the top of the cylinder. I'm wondering (hoping) all I need is a top end rebuild. I've attached some pictures. This is my first time posting and first time working on this engine, so I'm a bit clueless, though I've gleaned enough from this forum to actually get the engine out and take a look. What exactly should I look for to determine if the bottom end is okay? I'm also in need of a new reed cage, but I hear they are ridiculously hard to find. I ordered the smaller banshee reed cage someone else on this forum had rigged and will see what I can do with that. But if anyone has an OEM, that'd be ideal. Thanks in advance for the help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1568.jpg (209.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1567.jpg (216.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1566.jpg (209.6 KB, 0 views)
PD4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 06:18 PM   #2
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 91 EZGO 3pg - Just Top End Rebuild Needed?

It looks to me like it has been run without oil mix ? How did you mix the gas and oil ?
Those pictures sort of look bad. These engines were only made a few years and parts are rare.
This might help you. Good luck
https://buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=101207
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 09:31 AM   #3
PD4
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

The oil was okay, as far as I know. It was still using the separate oil pump, so I suppose it could have failed without me knowing. I intend to plug it up and premix once I get it back together. The thread is very helpful. Thanks!
Old 05-04-2021, 11:23 AM   #4
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

I have a 3pg repair service manual. I might can scan the engine rebuild pages and upload them here if I find time

There is a section on this site that covers the 2PG which is just about the same as the 3PG. .

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/show...06#post1552806

Defiantly remove the oil injection system. Different views here on how to mix but for sure on a new rebuild I would mix at least 50-1 and might keep it that way.
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 05:06 PM   #5
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

No way to really know if your bottom end is okay without disassembling and inspecting. With the piston and cylinder looking that bad, I'd defintely take it apart. On the other hand, you could do the top end and just take your chances. I did that once and the thing sounded like a freight train when it ran. Turned out the rod and crank bearings were toast and were making noise. After new bearings it was smooth and quiet. The down side is if the rod bearing lets go, you could have a broken engine case as a result.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 05:13 PM   #6
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Post #25 has a link to the 3pg manual. Each chapter is broken down into its own pdf.

https://buggiesgonewild.com/showthre...=105501&page=3
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 07:21 PM   #7
PD4
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks! I downloaded the manual. I'm going to take the motor to a small engine shop just around the corner from my house to get their opinion before I tear it apart any further. The full rebuild kits are REALLY hard to find online right now, so I'm hoping I can get away with just the top end (unless you guys know where I might find one). Appreciate the ongoing input!
Old 05-07-2021, 11:52 AM   #8
PD4
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

UPDATE: Small engine mechanic took a look and believed the bottom end was in good shape as well as the crank seals. I went to order the top end kit online, and it was NO WHERE to be found! After many hours of searching, all I could find was a total rebuild kit (top and bottom). So now that I'm going to have all the parts, I'm debating whether or not to tackle the whole job, or stick with just the top end. I was thinking I'd start with the top end, and if I still have trouble, I would go back in and do the bottom as well. Other than potentially tackling the job twice, are there any other drawbacks to this approach?

Tags
3pg, ezgo, robins, top end
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO