lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-19-2021, 11:48 AM   #1
cmarr6
Not Yet Wild

Default 86 electric ezgo won't go uphill

I have read every thread I can find about this subject and have done alot of parts rebuilding and replacing but can't figure this out. It is an 86 so is the resistor variety. I ordered and rebuilt the entire resistor unit. I have replaced the solenoid. I have tested voltages and all check out good accept the other day. I took off the throttle(speed control?) board and found the wire was pretty fried. I was able to repair it to where I believe it should work. Cleaned all the contacts, made sure everything it secured and did some more testing. I am getting 37.x volts to the #1 resistor connector, but as I step it up to #'s 2, 3 and 4 i see a gradual voltage drop until it is only about 10 or so at what should be top speed. Shouldn't I be getting full voltage to each of the connectors going into each of the resistor connections?
cmarr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-20-2021, 08:56 AM   #2
cmarr6
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 86 electric ezgo won't go uphill

I might add that it is completely stock. Stock tires and no lift or any modifications of any sort. It was running great then all of the sudden as I was driving it, it just lost power. Will go decent on flat surface but any incline at all and it just falls flat.
Old 07-20-2021, 10:32 AM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

You have a bad cable or connection or contact someplace, maybe more than one. Or battery(s) failing under load.

The resistors are bypassed when the pedal is on the floor, so measure the battery pack voltage when going from level pavement to slight incline. What is it on level grounds and what does it drop to on the incline?

Then measure from the most negative battery pack terminal to the #4 stud on the wiper assemble and repeat the test run. The voltages should match the pack voltages.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resistor ezgo -2.jpg (146.0 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 05:20 PM   #4
cmarr6
Not Yet Wild

I have cleaned and reconnected every connection and have even made a couple of new cables that looked a little burnt. I tested the battery pack voltage fully charged at 37.5 volts. It reduces to 35.5 under load. Is that sufficient? That is essentially what I am doing is measuring the voltage coming from each contact on the wiper assembly except I am just measuring at the end of the cable that connects to the resistor posts. I am getting full voltage at the #1 post, but as I said it reduces at each one all the way down to about 10 volts on the last one, which should be full speed! #1 should be low speed and #4 the highest. I was asking if this is correct? Shouldn’t I be getting full voltage to all of the posts. It isn’t till after the resistors that voltage to the motor is reduced, right?
Old 07-26-2021, 07:24 PM   #5
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Are you measuring each of those resistor posts AS you press the accelerator pedal to each corresponding contact? If the throttle is contacting the first step you will have power supplied to that first post of the resistor block, and each resistor in that block will reduce the power on it's way to the motor. That first step of the throttle switch will run that power through all 3 resistor coils (least power/slowest speed). The next step will run power to the 2nd post of the resistor block so the power will only go through 2 of the 3 resistor coils (a little more power / speed). The next step after that goes to the 3rd post and only 1 of the resistor coils. Final step of the throttle goes to the 4th post on the resistor block, which bypasses all the resistor coils and sends power directly to the motor (all the power / full speed).
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 08:31 PM   #6
acguy_409
Not Yet Wild

With regard to the current path as shown on the cart's wiring diagram, I typically ride around with my fluke meter on my seat, measuring voltages and such, and stop occasionally to reconnect it to a new troubleshooting location.

Start with the entire battery pack (6 batteries connected in series). I would verify the pack is good and resistance free first. Any significant voltage measurement that drops with uphill load would be cause to look deeper there.

I just tried it on my marathon, and it drops to 35v on hill. It pulls nicely, so I would say thats a reasonable load/voltage drop.
acguy_409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 06:13 PM   #7
cmarr6
Not Yet Wild

Yes, I was measuring the voltage while I swept through the connectors on the throttle. I am measuring the voltage before it goes through the resistor. The cables coming off of the sweeper contacts. I should get full battery pack voltage to each one of those right? I understand that the voltage will be affected by the resistors coming out of the resistor pack, but it should be full voltage going in right?
Old 07-31-2021, 10:48 AM   #8
acguy_409
Not Yet Wild

Something's not right. Either the cart is wired wrong, or measurement is being taken from wrong location. It is painfully obvious, but the power should increase to the motor with throttle applied and graduated towards the floor. Im thinking the cables from pedal wiper to resistor are all swapped perhaps? The "pedal to the metal" throttle position should not go thru any resistor if that helps. It should read pack voltage to the motor at pedal fully depressed. You are close to figuring it out.
acguy_409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 09:22 AM   #9
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarr6 View Post
Yes, I was measuring the voltage while I swept through the connectors on the throttle. I am measuring the voltage before it goes through the resistor. The cables coming off of the sweeper contacts. I should get full battery pack voltage to each one of those right? I understand that the voltage will be affected by the resistors coming out of the resistor pack, but it should be full voltage going in right?
I think you may be taking your reading in the wrong place. With your meter's neg probe to B-, your pos probe on the #4 post - furthest back post on the resistor block which should also have the lead that continues to the motor. If you are reading it at the #1 post You will get the kind of reading your describe because what you're actually seeing that way is a back feed through the resistors. The throttle step switch should always be putting out pack + voltage, but only through the step of the switch making contact in each position. For instance the first step of the switch should send power to the #1 (front) terminal on the resistor block. That sends the power through all of the resistor coils before it reaches the motor - delivering the least voltage for the slowest speed. On the other hand, the last step of the switch is going to the #4 (back) post on the resistor block and directly on to the motor at full power for the fastest speed. BUT since the resistors are all connected, by taking a reading through the #1 resistor post under those conditions you'll get the least power at #1.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 05:47 PM   #10
cmarr6
Not Yet Wild

The cart is wired exactly as it was stock. It ran great for a while and then just suddenly quit. I am NOT measuring voltage coming from the resistor to the motor. Simply measuring voltage coming from the sweeper contacts TO the resistors. Logically, the should all be pack voltage? Right. Then the resistor does its thing and the voltage coming OUT of the resistor is varied accordingly if I am correct? Ordered a new sweeper contact so will see if that works
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO