lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-29-2008, 04:46 PM   #1
shlong
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Cost of batteries

Newbie here, What is the average cost of replacing all batteries in a 36v Club Car? Where is the best place to purchase?

Thanks
shlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-31-2008, 07:48 AM   #2
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Default Re: Cost of batteries

The cost of batteries continues to rise. A good golf cart battery like a Trojan will cost around $100 each or more. Sams carries some decent golf cart batteries. There is no better time to buy golf cart batteries than the present because the cost keeps rising.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 11:43 AM   #3
therson
Not Yet Wild

It depends on how much range you need/want before recharging. I use 3 large 12 volt deep cycle batteries(36volt cart) from Walmart with 205 reserve amp/hour capacity that lasts for many trips around my yard and to the bus stop(i recharge once a week) They have a 18 month full replacement warranty and up to 24 month pro-rated warranty. They cost $78ea and you can give them any core battery back. It saves me $400+ on each cart and I get the walmart not so much hassle return/warranty policy. If you require more range you must go with the six, 6 volt batteries for upwards of $650 total with ?? warranty. Thats a lot of moola over the lifetime of your cart considering they only last about 2 years before losing most of their capacity.
therson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 01:09 PM   #4
roady89
nimda
Club Car

You must not be taking care of your batteries very well then. If they didn't last anymore than the 2 years you stated the electric cart industry would be dead or died along time ago. Then again, possibly the reason your only seeing 2 years from a set of batteries is because your using 12 volt batteries. An automotive 12 volt deep cycle battery is not a true "deep cycle" battery, it is a hybrid between a true "deep cycle" and a starting battery.
Old 05-31-2008, 01:27 PM   #5
therson
Not Yet Wild

I mention they only last two years before losing significant capacity from experience with trojans a few years back- perhaps I didnt maintain them as i should but without time to spare, how many golf cart owners want to worry about maintaining their small battery fortune? And one argument for owning an electric cart over a gas cart is just that-less maintenance. Walmart does have batteries listed as hybrid starting/deep cycle but these were simply listed as deep cycle- make a difference?
Old 05-31-2008, 01:33 PM   #6
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by therson View Post
Walmart does have batteries listed as hybrid starting/deep cycle but these were simply listed as deep cycle- make a difference?
Any 12 volt deep cycle from walmart is a hybrid. The only true deep cycle batts they carry are 6 volt cart batteries.

Lets do the math.

$100 x 6 = $600 over 5 years.

$78(right now) x 3 = $234...then in another 2 years another $234 (minimum)= $468.....Ok lets knock $234 in half for the last year. That ='s $117. $117 + $468 = $585

Alright, your $15 cheaper...but your run time is 25% of a golf cart battery and you had to change batteries 1 and 1/2 times more than if you were to buy golf cart batts. Sounds like a hassle.
Old 05-31-2008, 01:58 PM   #7
therson
Not Yet Wild

For accuracy sake, I just called my local battery warehouse in Glen Burnie, Md and the least expensive 6 volt golf cart battery(trojan) here is 119.80. Thats $724.99 in real dollars. You may be right that if you maintain your batteries, make sure they dont freeze in the winter, dont get stolen, you can get 5 years out of them. But I certainly make an argument for the wannabe or p/t golf cart owner who doesnt have $725 to lay out, doesnt need to travel miles before charging, doesnt want to worry about/maintain their large investment or wonder whether their cart even holds out long enough to benefit from such an investment.
Old 05-31-2008, 03:33 PM   #8
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Yea...I see your point. Point is we are talking about 2 totally seperate ways of doing it. I myself have used 12 volt batts to get by with. I guess it comes down to what you needs are.....

P.S. For accuracy sake $119.80 x 6 is $718.80 not $724.99
Old 06-20-2008, 05:31 AM   #9
triman22000
Not Yet Wild

Do not know if you have a store called batteries plus near you but we have one here on Miami and the Trojan 6 volts are 79 bucks while the 8 volts are 99 bucks
triman22000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 09:49 AM   #10
phasetim
Just me. .

Club Car

I rarely see batteries go out less than 4 years old, usually closer to 5 or 6. Most of my customers are dilligent about maintaining them once a month, or paying me to do it for them.
~~~~~~~~~
Triman--- That is a very good price for Trojan batteries, if that pricing is recent. The company must have something else they make profit on.
phasetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car