lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-20-2022, 12:12 PM   #1
Broadwater
Not Yet Wild

Default 100% to 85% too fast!?

I've got a 2022 EZGO Express S4 72volt. I've had it for a few weeks and it seems that the draw from 100% to 85% happens very quickly when I'm driving (over 20min or so) and then the draw happens much slower after that (another 25 minutes to get to 80%.)

I seem to remember reading somewhere that EZGO programmed these units to show a 'full pack' at 85%. (1) Is that true on my model (2) is there a way to overcome that by reprogramming the unit to take 95% as a 'full pack'?

Finally, I'm getting ready to add a 72v to 12v reducer on my unit and then add a light bar, rock lights, and sound bar. At moderate usage, how quickly can I expect these accessories to draw down my power? Is it worth adding a separate battery just for the accessories or will my pack (and reducer) handle those small amp loads ok? My 'typical' usage is just around the neighborhood, pretty level ground, no more than an hour at a time.

Thanks all.
Broadwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-25-2022, 08:09 AM   #2
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 100% to 85% too fast!?

I don't know about the battery meter, but for the reducer it depends on how many amps are being drawn.

If you plan to pull 20 amps at 12v that's 240 watts. Assume your converter is 80% efficient and you are drawing 300 watts to produce 20 amps at 12v. To provide 300 watts at 72v means you're drawing 4.2 amps from your pack. This is a general idea. If you pull 10 amps at 12v, that's about 150 watts after assuming 80% efficiency and therefore a 2.1 amp draw from a 72v power source.

How quickly will that affect your pack? No idea. But if you leave it on overnight then you'd probably have a dead pack the next day. Still, I prefer a separate battery for my cart. Others (probably most) people here prefer a converter. Most like that for convenience but my cart has onboard chargers for both so it just depends how you set up your cart. $0.02
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 08:32 AM   #3
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Most percent usage meters are pretty inaccurate. Actual consumption isn't going to change much if your driving is constant so if the meter drops quickly, it's just not accurate. You can just get used to how it drops vs your total range.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 10:14 AM   #4
Broadwater
Not Yet Wild

I figured the percentages would come calibrated from the factory, but I can see how they could easily be off. I appreciate the info there.

Also, bronson, thanks for the formulas. I should have plenty of power using those assumptions, based on my draw. Thank you!
Broadwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO