lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-23-2022, 09:56 AM   #1
Firefighter901
Not Yet Wild

Default 2009 RXV Power/Battery Issue Questions

Good morning. I recently purchased a 2009 RXV and have an issue going on with the state of charge meter and the performance of the cart. I'll list out all the specifics of the cart in bullet points below. The issue is that straight off the charger this thing runs strong and fast, but after only a short amount of time (varies, but usually 15 to 20 mins) the state of charge meter drops to zero and not long after, the cart begins to run much slower. If we let the cart sit in the off position for a while, the state of charge will show full, or close to it, again, but performance still isn't as it was right off the charger. The previous owner obviously had it adjusted to run faster, as it hits around 22 to 23 mph when at its best.

- Stock controller

- Stock solenoid, but did just replace it with another stock on thinking that might help.

- 4 12v Powertron 12000 batteries. I believe the stamp on them show them as being produced in 2019.

- Currently using stock EZGO Powerwise QE Charger, but do have a MODZ Max48 on the way.

- Battery cables are stock, but have 2 gauge replacements on the way.

- It has 14" wheels on it. Regular radial style tires.

- On full charge each battery shows around 12.8 to 13.0. When I check them after it slows down, they show around 12.4 to 12.5. I have not load tested them yet, but plan to this week.

Thanks in advance for help thoughts or suggestion you may have that can assist!

-James
Firefighter901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-23-2022, 10:35 AM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: 2009 RXV Power/Battery Issue Questions

Sounds like the batteries are sagging under load and are probably in need of replacement. DO a load test to verify this. I assume you have made sure they have adequate water in them after fully charging them.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 10:43 AM   #3
Firefighter901
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
Sounds like the batteries are sagging under load and are probably in need of replacement. DO a load test to verify this. I assume you have made sure they have adequate water in them after fully charging them.
Thanks! Yes, meant to mention that water levels are good.
Old 05-23-2022, 10:46 AM   #4
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

What you describe would be typical for bad batteries or at least one bad battery. Check the pack voltage while driving ( how much it drops under load ). Do you measured 12.8 - 13v direct after charging or with a rest time ( 10 - 12 hrs )?
ojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 10:52 AM   #5
Firefighter901
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojo View Post
What you describe would be typical for bad batteries or at least one bad battery. Check the pack voltage while driving ( how much it drops under load ). Do you measured 12.8 - 13v direct after charging or with a rest time ( 10 - 12 hrs )?
I definitely need to do a load test, which I’ll do this week. Those ranges were straight off the charger, but tonight when I get home I can check them with that rest time. I took it off the charger this morning, so that would give 12 to 14 hours rest time for them.
Old 05-23-2022, 12:04 PM   #6
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Yes, with the rest time, you should get still the same result... enclosed a Trojan battery chart for information.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SoC vs Voltage - Trojan Battery.JPG (56.9 KB, 0 views)
ojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 12:56 PM   #7
Firefighter901
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojo View Post
Yes, with the rest time, you should get still the same result... enclosed a Trojan battery chart for information.
Thank you for that chart! Good information there. I will post what numbers I get once I check them tonight....unfortunately it probably won't be till around 10pm that I can actually check.

I was really hoping there might be something smaller/cheaper that needed looking into other than full battery replacement, but it seems like this may be where it is leaning. I'm assuming that even with freedom mode unlocked and the cart running at higher speeds/voltage draw, I should still be getting a lot more than 20 mins or so of good performance.?
Old 05-23-2022, 01:28 PM   #8
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

next time get 6 x 8volt batteries, give you more ummph!
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 01:30 PM   #9
Firefighter901
Not Yet Wild

And I guess I'm also wondering if the stock controller could have any fault in this? I can't replace batteries and the controller right now, and of course would prefer that whichever one I do replace corrects this issue.
Old 05-23-2022, 01:32 PM   #10
Firefighter901
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Brad View Post
next time get 6 x 8volt batteries, give you more ummph!
I've seen some mentions of that before. Not sure what all is involved with making that happen in a cart built for 4 12's? I'm guessing it would involve a new battery tray, etc.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO