lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-26-2022, 01:26 PM   #1
DDNorCal
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default G29 2016 one front shocks--Bad?

Hi all!

Still working on the ride quality. New 10" wheels and 205/65-10 tires have improved it quite a bit. Still looking for a bit more comfort.

RE: Front shocks

Leaning and pushing hard on the body, on the drivers-side I can make it move a few inches but it squeaks.

On the passenger side, I cannot get it to move, almost nothing.

Which one appears to be proper?

The front ride quality still seems a bit jarring. And yes, still experimenting with the amount of air pressure.

This cart was a lease return with a complete dealer refurb. He told me he did not replace the shocks. At 6+ years and probably a lot of miles, should I be looking at replacing?
DDNorCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-28-2022, 11:11 PM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: G29 2016 one front shocks--Bad?

If standing on the front bumper (if possible) you should get equal movement from both front shocks. Stock shocks are not stiff at all, you should get a couple inches or so of movement. If you aren't getting movement, then something isn't right, or a shock or two have been changed to something stiffer. Hard to tell you without any photos etc.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 11:19 PM   #3
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Take off both front shocks and drive the cart. If it feels a softer ride, you have either a bent or locked up shock. When removed, you should be able to compress them by hand with some resistance.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 09:20 AM   #4
DDNorCal
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

[QUOTE=Cartmaster;1891701]Take off both front shocks and drive the cart. If it feels a softer ride, you have either a bent or locked up shock. When removed, you should be able to compress them by hand with some resistance.[/QUOTE

Thx but I don’t think that is even possible?? The shocks are coil-over like a strut plus they connect to the steering linkage.
Old 05-29-2022, 09:21 AM   #5
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

No problem. I don't know those carts. I just assumed they were shock absorbers not coilovers lol. Maybe one is bent or seized though?
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 02:24 PM   #6
DDNorCal
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartmaster View Post
No problem. I don't know those carts. I just assumed they were shock absorbers not coilovers lol. Maybe one is bent or seized though?
No worries. Yes, I thinking the same thing. Should have order before our holiday. I’ll get on it on Tuesday.
Old 05-31-2022, 12:18 PM   #7
DDNorCal
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
If standing on the front bumper (if possible) you should get equal movement from both front shocks. Stock shocks are not stiff at all, you should get a couple inches or so of movement. If you aren't getting movement, then something isn't right, or a shock or two have been changed to something stiffer. Hard to tell you without any photos etc.
Thx for the reply. Yeah, I could just replace both front shocks. However, I am pretty convinced my ride problem is shock load, due to the batteries being replaced by lithium. I am reviewing air shocks or similar. Know anything about these? How does one even begin to assess?

The rears should not be too much trouble but the front struts have that specialized bracket to the wheel hub and all of that. Is something available over the counter for that or would it require custom parts?
Thx DD
Old 06-01-2022, 09:52 PM   #8
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDNorCal View Post
Thx for the reply. Yeah, I could just replace both front shocks. However, I am pretty convinced my ride problem is shock load, due to the batteries being replaced by lithium. I am reviewing air shocks or similar. Know anything about these? How does one even begin to assess?

The rears should not be too much trouble but the front struts have that specialized bracket to the wheel hub and all of that. Is something available over the counter for that or would it require custom parts?
Thx DD
I've never seen any air ride conversion kits. I've tried some different air shocks over the years, they all ride stiff IMO unless you don't pump them up, then you don't get the ride height. Some places sell springs for coil overs and struts, that might be an option.

Have you tried Plowman's Carts? Don Plowman has been working on Yamaha carts for years and years, he's the resident expert. Look on the "Site Sponsors" page.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 11:01 PM   #9
DDNorCal
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
I've never seen any air ride conversion kits. I've tried some different air shocks over the years, they all ride stiff IMO unless you don't pump them up, then you don't get the ride height. Some places sell springs for coil overs and struts, that might be an option.

Have you tried Plowman's Carts? Don Plowman has been working on Yamaha carts for years and years, he's the resident expert. Look on the "Site Sponsors" page.
Thx for the reply. I talked with Don the other day on the phone. He didn’t really have a good solution. We chatted for awhile and he asked good questions, etc. He clearly knows his stuff. I think the only solution would be to figure out how to add about 200 lbs to the cart to bring the load closer to normal. Im thinking of selling the cart and buy a brand new one. Not sure of the brand yet but leaning toward Evolution. They offer a lot of value and features versus the top three brands for $4-5k less.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha