lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-13-2007, 10:44 PM   #1
BRS
Master BS'r

Club Car

Default 5yr old T-875s....still good?

I was sure I needed batts. and maybe I do, however I load tested each batt. and got a very strong "good". Can this be right? Everyone has told me 5years...yeah you're do! Will they make a big difference if my batts. are appearing to be in good shape, I love the idea of new batts. giveing me a little help in performance(not really bad now). In series they tested 51v.
BTW I have a 48v CC DS.
BRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-13-2007, 11:33 PM   #2
rusty
Golf Cart Photographer

Club Car

Default Re: 5yr old T-875s....still good?

You've still got good batteries. Obviously you have taken care of them well. Plus, they are the top of the line brand.

Still, you can figure they will start to weaken in another year or two, to the point you notice it.
rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 07:34 AM   #3
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

I have a set of trojans that I took out of my friends cart at the beach. They are the mileage masters 6 volts 685 I think. They still hold a charge but he wanted new batteries so. They are marked Janurary 99.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 08:10 AM   #4
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty View Post
You've still got good batteries. Obviously you have taken care of them well. Plus, they are the top of the line brand.

Still, you can figure they will start to weaken in another year or two, to the point you notice it.

What I was told when I got my first cart, ('98 48V CC, last spring) was... if the batteries are properly maintained they should last 8 to 10 years...
(8 years on original '98 Trojans...not bad!)

I know the previous owner kept them topped off, and charged, but did'nt keep them very clean.

when I would charge them, the charger would charge to almost 1 amp, but would not shut off. so I had thought it was time to replace them, when I went to remove the old batteries, the Positive cable was crusted with acid,
and when I went to remove it, the cable end broke apart!

I felt I could have made it another year or so before replacing them, had I cleaned, and checked the batteries and cables before replacing them!

BTW... when you decide to replace them... get ONLY Trojans!!! I bought "Batteries Plus" replacements for the same price, they're holding up well, but I don't think they have the stamina that Trojans would have!
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 11:29 AM   #5
roady89
nimda
Club Car

I have a recent experiance I would like to share. Some of you may know I deal with batteries at work on a daily basis. A few years back Muaythia41 bought a battery equalizer additive made by minkota....I know what you are thinking....(Snake oil)....we both thought the same thing about it...just a bunch of nonsense. Which for the most part is true.

Now for the interesting part:
We have a new deisel powered light plant that had set for a few years and of coarse the battery was dead. I charged it for a few hours and it still would not bring it back up. I popped the battery tops off and looked inside and the plates were sulfated together...no amount of charging could fix this. Just messing around one day we decided to see if/what/how this supposed battery equalizer stuff worked. I added the recommended amount then added more just because the battery was in such poor shape...LOL! Well....after a few hours of charging on high (batter boiling)the battery came back to life. That same battery is starting my powerstroke deisel truck right now and has been for the last 2 months.

I did some searching and found the main ingrediants of the product are "Cadmium Sulfate". Basically what cadminum sulfate does is desulphates the plates. (I dont wanna get into the technicals) I believe at the same time the lead plates get thinner. Cadmium sulphate is a highly toxic poison. Effects of chronic exposure to cadmium could lead to coma or death. All the reading I have done all come up the same end result.....its a temp fix at best. It could however get you a few more months of battery use. That minkota bottle was $9 I believe a it takes 2 bottles for a 6 volt golf cart battery.

If you had 1 or 2 bad batteries and just didn't wanna spend the cash at the moment I could see this being used as a cheap alternative.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 07:57 PM   #6
BRS
Master BS'r

Club Car

Ok,
I charged my batts. for about 14hrs and the meter never dropped below 5,...I shut it off. Batts. test good, but won't take a full charge...maybe the connections. That's the next step. Could not find a bad batt.!
Roady, you scared me too much with toxins and exlplosions and what ever...the batts. die and I'm gettin new ones. Thanks to all.
BS
BRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car