lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-31-2017, 05:32 PM   #1
Ezie1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Cool 1992 EzGo 90 36volt cart stopped moving suddenly.

My cart had been sitting for a couple years with busted bad batteries but did run previously before it was parked. June 30 I took to a dealer had it checked out and had 6 new batteries installed and charger tested. All good, however it seemed to run very sluggish like low charge underpowered. But then after it set a few minutes it would spin tires on gravel.
Anyway 3 days ago I backed it out, started fwd it went 10 ft and hasn't move since unless I push it.
I've ck'd wiring, connections and voltage. All these seem in good working order. I did put new battery wires on it befor it was parked so there is no corroded cables.
I've read lots of threads but none of the threads seem to match my old cart for testing and diagnosis or even where the parts are located.
I'm sort of leaning towards the accelerator box that is in between the solenoid and in ft of the module box. The solenoid does click when I engage throttle but I just don't have enough information on testing things. Thanks to all who can guide me with a cure.
Ezie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-31-2017, 05:52 PM   #2
Ezie1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1992 EzGo 90 36volt cart stopped moving suddenly.

EZGO Textron The serial no. Tag is 696112
Manuf. code is. G1492. Augusta Georgia
Old 07-31-2017, 07:12 PM   #3
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

First off, did you fully charge batteries before use? They need a full charge, which could take up to 18 hours with new batteries. Assuming they're 6 volts, they should read 6.37 volts, 12 hours after your charger cuts off.

https://shop.ezgo.com/my-vehicle/sel...spx?appid=1372

This is what you have. You should also know what drive type you have:

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...en-system.html

Go here and read everything about batteries, especially the proper break-in procedure:

http://www.cartsunlimited.net/

Hopefully that solves your problem. If not, report back.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 11:52 AM   #4
Ezie1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for information, however that description and picture doesn't resemble my cart, but hey I can go with it.
The tag on the motor tells me it's a Series Winding.
I've tested all connection and took the accelerator box apart th check test with continuity neater goes from 4.47ohm to 0 full travel. It's a round rheostat type.
I'm in process of recharging batteries now so I'll see when they go through the cycle but the shop that put them on said the batteries were fully charged and should be able to go for 3-4 hrs per day for several days. I robable went 2 hours in 3 days.
Hopefully the charging will cure it.
Old 08-01-2017, 12:37 PM   #5
ARKSoft84
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
First off, did you fully charge batteries before use? They need a full charge, which could take up to 18 hours with new batteries. Assuming they're 6 volts, they should read 6.37 volts, 12 hours after your charger cuts off.

https://shop.ezgo.com/my-vehicle/sel...spx?appid=1372

This is what you have. You should also know what drive type you have:

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...en-system.html

Go here and read everything about batteries, especially the proper break-in procedure:

http://www.cartsunlimited.net/

Hopefully that solves your problem. If not, report back.
Did they have a Sepex cart in 1992?

Ezie1, your cart is a EZ-GO Marathon. I know that the title cannot be edited now, but in the event that you have more questions, it would probably be best to call it a Marathon.
ARKSoft84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 04:08 PM   #6
Ezie1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Marathon it is then.
Have gone through two full charge cycles, still nothing changes on movement. Each battery test 6.37-6.47v. Full series pack is 38.7v. It charges at a little over 43 volts.
Is there a diagnosis process to check the components, or trouble shoot procedure?
Old 08-02-2017, 01:11 AM   #7
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

There's a troubleshooting guide in the Stickies above.
Old 08-02-2017, 05:34 AM   #8
crash test dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
There's a troubleshooting guide in the Stickies above.
the Stickies are on the Electric EZGO forum page

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...agnostics.html

how about a photo of your cart ... also battery area ?
Old 08-02-2017, 09:38 AM   #9
Ezie1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Not really sure what I did that actually resolved my problem. Although I've gained a lot of respect for all of the help from everyone who posted on this issue.
I've done about all the suggestions offered, but nothing made an immediate impact on the problem at that point. (Even after 3charge cycles yesterday the charger shuts off telling me it was fully charged in under 30 minutes)
So about 4 pm yesterday, I left the key switch on and FNR switch in Fwd position did a charge cycle. After It shut off with the code of fully charged in less under 30 minutes displayed I left it connected overnight. This morning it showed a little above 44 volts. I unplugged the charger, while rear wheels off ground and pushed accelerater it spun wheels fwd, moved to Rev position it spun rearward.
Although the shop that installed the batteries told me it was ready to go, perhaps it really wasn't?
Special thanks to Yurtle, your first responds suggest it may take up to 18 hrs to fully charge, I m not sure though if the batteries are being charged if the charger is not running even if it is still connected.
Thanks to all for responding, hopefully this is cured. I'll take it out for a while to see if problem is a reoccurring one.
Moving on... thanks.

Last edited by Ezie1; 08-02-2017 at 09:42 AM.. Reason: Coorect a spelling.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:21 AM   #10
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

If it reads 44 volts, either it's still charging, or just finished.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO