lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-16-2019, 03:58 PM   #1
chase10409
Not Yet Wild

Exclamation Steering Issues

I recently installed a 5 inch double A arm lift kit from GTW on my 2014 g29. I have aligned the front end and gotten everything like it should be. However, at higher speeds it is sketchy to drive. I know they’re light in the front and will sway with a lift and weight in the back but that’s not the issue. It will dart both directions and the steering wheel will be either straight or turned the the right to keep it straight. It constantly back and forth. It’s almost like the rack and pinion is worn and it’s skipping teeth, but it drove perfect before the lift. What else to check? Or is this lift just cheap? It also doesn’t turn near as tight as it used to, which was some what expected.
chase10409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-16-2019, 04:37 PM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: Steering Issues

Welcome!
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 12:18 AM   #3
MILLERTIME
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Welcome to the madness.
MILLERTIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 02:49 PM   #4
chase10409
Not Yet Wild

Thanks, hoping some one will have some insight on the steering issue. Seems like none of the adjusting I have done has fixed or even helped the issue. Any one know anything about the GTW 5 inch lift kit? Decent lift? Bad lift? Really would like to get to the bottom of the issue for my cart..
chase10409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 08:45 PM   #5
Crackback
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I had a madjax 6” lift on a g29. It was fine with just me on it. Or up until about 20 mph. But as soon as I had passengers or went over 20 I had trouble keeping it between the lines! Lol
It was ALL OVER the road. I’ve only got a Jakes 3” lift on my current g29 now and it rides excellent! I’m no expert, but from what I’ve heard Jakes seems to be the way to go. And if you want a 6” lift I’ve heard nothing but positive reviews on the Jakes long travel lifts. Sorry I’m no help with the GTW lift you’ve got.
Good luck
Crackback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 01:10 PM   #6
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

It can be from loose parts check your steering and spindle parts for wear or play. Most of the time it means the toe is way off, usually toe in will make them dart around and toe out will make them wander, either will scrub the front tires off eventually if you ride hard surfaces. I would check that first try zero toe or tiny bit toe out to calm it down, but each cart and lift can be different. Don't expect it to be as stable as before when you go up they get that way, plus newer carts the rear articulates and that makes it worse. HD springs in the rear can help or a sway bar, the weaker the rear is the worse it will sway around. You should have offset wheels on it for a wider track that helps, lifted carts are not good without offset wheels. Note the LT lifts are usually fair amount wider for more stability.

I made my lift long ago, then I built up the engine and went faster it got strange at 38mph. I ended up loosening the tie rods and moving them around (carefully) and running up/down an empty street until it was able to go straight and not act weird. Then I tightened up the tie rods after making sure the steering wheel was straight ahead. If you turn both rods opposite it just changes the center of the steering wheel. Last time I ran speed run it hit 41mph gps with the new cam and rod, it did twitch around some and so I'd really like an atv front on it lol. But I never go that fast in normal riding anyway.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a arm lift kit, lift, steering
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha