lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-16-2019, 09:41 AM   #1
Elifal88
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default EZGO Ignition Switch Help (where to connect hot wire on Radio to Ignition Switch)

I have a question that I need help with regarding a 2016 EZGO express L6 gas golf cart I purchased used 1 year ago. I currently have a kenwood radio installed on my cart. The only way the radio turns on and stays on is if the key is turned to the way right (2 clicks right).

Anyways, when that happens, the front lights remain on. At times I just want to hear the radio only, but dont want to have the front lights on. When I turn to the right [1 click], nothing happens. I am not sure if that should have been where the radio would turn on and stay on.

Forgive me, but I am not a tech, so ill try my best to give my best description of ignition key setup.

Ignition has [3 positions: off, on 1, on 2], in back of ignition switch it has 4 prongs which has the imprint:

L: blue with white stripe wire,
I: light blue wire,
B: Green wire, and
B1: Blue with white stripe wire

.... also there is Red wire spliced into B1 wire that comes from radio connection harness

[hope the pics below help]

So, my question is: "is this thing wired properly or improperly? This is my first golf cart. Id like to set it up where if I just want to hear the radio, that it be with the front lights off. I am not sure which of the 4 prongs belongs to the [1st click] on turn key, and if so, can the red wire be changed to another wire.

Thank you for any help you can provide me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9717 (1).jpg (216.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9718.jpg (217.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9712.jpg (198.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5118.jpg (17.2 KB, 0 views)
Elifal88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-16-2019, 12:57 PM   #2
Elifal88
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZGO Ignition Switch Help (where to connect hot wire on Radio to Ignition Switch)

I forgot to mention, When i turn the key 1 click to the right, I am able to depress on the gas pedal and cart will take off with lights off, but radio wont turn on.
Old 10-16-2019, 02:40 PM   #3
Superx2
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: EZGO Ignition Switch Help (where to connect hot wire on Radio to Ignition Switch)

I ran mine to a toggle switch then to battery instead of ignition.
Superx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 08:23 PM   #4
j13smiley
Not Yet Wild

That is how the gas carts work by default. Position 1 is the motor can run, position 2 is the motor can run and the lights come on.

So someone just simply tapped into the light power wire when they installed the radio. You could change that if you prefer a different operation for the radio.
j13smiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 09:23 PM   #5
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by j13smiley View Post
That is how the gas carts work by default. Position 1 is the motor can run, position 2 is the motor can run and the lights come on.

So someone just simply tapped into the light power wire when they installed the radio. You could change that if you prefer a different operation for the radio.
Yes, just use position 2 instead of 3. Or, "On One" as it is labeled.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 01:14 AM   #6
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

If this later model ignition switch is wired the same as the older models, then you cannot do what you want. Power runs through the pedal switch first and then to the ignition switch. therefore if you try wiring the radio for position 1, the radio will only work when you press the pedal with the ignition on. This will be why it is wired to the light circuit. I got round this by using position two purely for the radio and used a separate
switch for the lights. I think it is the most sensible option. You just have to make sure you do not leave the lights on when you park up.

The light wiring is run directly from a fused supply as the ignition switch is actually two separate switches in one casing. both parts are completely independent from each other. one side of the switch (2 terminals) is for ignition and the second side of the switch ( other two terminal) are purely for the lights. This is why you will only see one permanent live at the switch in the off position. You will only see the ignition live when the pedal is pressed. no point in having a radio that cuts out every time you back off the gas LOL.

So, as i said. Run the radio off the light circuit and move the light circuit to an independent supply with its own fuse and switch which could be controlled by a relay from the second side of the ignition switch to make sure you cannot leave the lights on with ignition off.

Last edited by Cartmaster; 10-17-2019 at 03:56 AM.. Reason: more info.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 01:44 AM   #7
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

If what you are saying is true Cartmaster (and I have no reason to doubt you) I would run 2 wires to the battery. That way you can listen to the radio any time you want and keep the station presets too with no problem, and no extra switches.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 03:53 AM   #8
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

It was definitely the case back when i ran my shop, but i have been out of the game for many years now. As EZGO tend to keep things the same throughout many models etc i am assuming the switch is still the same design.

I can see your point, but i got the impression the OP wants the radio ignition controlled, otherwise your suggestion is good. Seeing as most radio's these days need two live feeds for memory retention and auto on/off, maybe it would be better to do it through the switch, maybe not. at the end of the day it is up to what the OP wants lol.

Plus less chance of inadvertently leaving the radio on and draining the battery.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 09:16 AM   #9
Elifal88
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I appreciate your all's feedback. I hadnt even considered memory retention from radio.

So if i just make put an independent switch for radio to turn on, as directly connected to the battery, would that be my best bet? I do have a rocker switch panel i can just hook up radio [red wire] too if that would work? thoughts?

also, the cart has 4, 6" inch JBL speakers and a kenwood single dash bluetooth radio. How long can a radio be on [on average] with cart off, and radio on? pending i do use the independent radio switch method?

again, you guys are awesome for the advise. much appreciated
Old 10-18-2019, 08:36 AM   #10
Elifal88
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

UPDATE: i was able to put an independent switch on radio. Worked well. I dont know about radio station presets since i only use radio with my Spotify on Bluetooth. Radio is able to keep bluetooth on record every time i turn radio on and off!!! Again, thanks for advice.

Tags
express, ezgo, ignition, radio, switch
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO