lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-07-2021, 07:19 PM   #1
robocp01
Not Yet Wild

Default 2017 Club Car Precedent wont Move

Ok, so I made a pretty rookie mistake on my recently purchased Club Car. I was putting new rear shocks on my 4 inch lifted cart and while I was doing so, i accidently brushed against one of the motor terminals. Needless to say it generated a slight spark. Went ahead and replaced the rear shocks. Now my cart won't move at all. It will not move forward or reverse. My wife is pretty pissed and now i realize I should always disconnect a battery terminal when working on the cart. So the issue now is how to determine what went bad.

It appears I have power coming out of the battery, lights work, reverse warning light works. Checked the mortor terminals and cables all look good. The short was not bad enough for any damage to the terminals or cables.

In reviewing the web, looks like it could be solenoid, onboard computer or something else. Could it be a fuse? Any ideas and fairly comfortable around a set of tools.

I will of course search this site for additional information.
robocp01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-07-2021, 07:37 PM   #2
sthreatt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2017 Club Car Precedent wont Move

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocp01 View Post
Ok, so I made a pretty rookie mistake on my recently purchased Club Car. I was putting new rear shocks on my 4 inch lifted cart and while I was doing so, i accidently brushed against one of the motor terminals. Needless to say it generated a slight spark. Went ahead and replaced the rear shocks. Now my cart won't move at all. It will not move forward or reverse. My wife is pretty pissed and now i realize I should always disconnect a battery terminal when working on the cart. So the issue now is how to determine what went bad.

It appears I have power coming out of the battery, lights work, reverse warning light works. Checked the mortor terminals and cables all look good. The short was not bad enough for any damage to the terminals or cables.

In reviewing the web, looks like it could be solenoid, onboard computer or something else. Could it be a fuse? Any ideas and fairly comfortable around a set of tools.

I will of course search this site for additional information.
Hopefully not the controller, but I'm pretty sure you can rule out an onboard computer. Unless I'm mistaken 2014 was the last year for an OBC on Precedent. Ominously, I can't think of anything you could have damaged by shorting a motor cable EXCEPT the controller. Cross your fingers.
sthreatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 07:55 PM   #3
robocp01
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
It's no bueno compadre. The controller is damaged if the motor terminals get shorted. No way around it.
Always Put the cart in Tow Mode and disconnect the pack negative before doing any work on the cart.
As for the controller, it can probably be rebuilt depending on which controller it is, but it may be cheaper to upgrade to an Alltrax. One good thing about the Alltrax is short circuit and reverse polarity protection.
Found this same thing happened to someone else, looks like i may have fried the controller. Looks like I will need to determine how to troubleshoot this.
Old 06-07-2021, 08:03 PM   #4
sthreatt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Found this same thing happened to someone else, looks like i may have fried the controller. Looks like I will need to determine how to troubleshoot this.
I saw your post and his and noticed the similarity between the two. What puzzles me is that in neither case should a motor terminal have shorted to chassis ground. Chassis ground is not common to any electrical. In both cases you would almost have HAD to short one motor terminal to another. That would likely blow the controller. Just out of curiosity, and rolling over something in my mind, was the charger plugged to the cart while you were working and when this happened ?
Old 06-07-2021, 08:42 PM   #5
robocp01
Not Yet Wild

No the charger was not plugged in. It seemed to me I had one end of the ratchet on the top nut of the shock and brushed against the nearest terminal. I could be incorrect though it may have slipped back and hit both terminals located on the top of the motor. I was in an awkward position, sitting on the floor using my left hand and reaching up to get to it. Since this is my first golf cart I am still trying to figure out what all the components that run the cart and where they are located.

Is the controller the same thing they call an MCOR? Seems to me they are.
Old 06-07-2021, 09:29 PM   #6
sthreatt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Is the controller the same thing they call an MCOR? Seems to me they are.
No . The MCOR is the box connected to the throttle pedal that contains pedal switch and potentiometer to vary speed. The controller is the main computer box that controls all drive/run functions. It is the heart of everything.
Old 06-07-2021, 09:45 PM   #7
robocp01
Not Yet Wild

Thanks understand those two now!
Old 06-07-2021, 09:53 PM   #8
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

It's the controller that's bad.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 07:32 AM   #9
robocp01
Not Yet Wild

Looks like replacing the controller is a fairly easy task. Do you all recommend buying a new OEM one, aftermarket, or maybe an upgrade as recommended in the thread above. Of course i will search this site for addtional information.

Thanks.

Tags
move, shorted
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car