lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-02-2022, 10:06 PM   #21
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 2013 Precedent conversion to Extreme Team Lithium in 2022

Quote:
Keeping the battery warm is more of an issue for charging than discharging.
It also important to remember that just because the air temp is above 0°C it is still not safe to charge. The internal temps of the batteries might still be below 0°. Wait until the battery temperature gets to 10°C as indicated by the BMS.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-03-2022, 02:04 PM   #22
UncleJerm76
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakePlacidGolfer View Post
…There was an hour or so when I couldn't figure out why the fuse block wasn't getting any power from the red accessory wire of the reducer. Had to set everything aside and go get a cup of coffee. Even went so far as to see if the reducer was still returnable on Amazon.

Then, a light bulb went off in my head and I realized I never turned the run/tow switch to run. Once I did, the fuse block had 12v of power.

I had to chuckle at this, that run/tow switch STILL gets me once and a while! :) Congrats on a great pack!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
UncleJerm76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 02:36 PM   #23
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterM6 View Post
It also important to remember that just because the air temp is above 0°C it is still not safe to charge. The internal temps of the batteries might still be below 0°. Wait until the battery temperature gets to 10°C as indicated by the BMS.
But if the battery has been designed and built correctly the BMS will prevent charging if the batteries are too cold. Just turn the charger on and when the batteries are warm enough the BMS will allow them to charge. Be sure the battery has low temp charging cutoff before you do this. Sensor placement is critical here though. It should be between cells, in the middle of the pack if possible.

Cheers
Pat.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 04:04 PM   #24
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I wouldn't trust drop-in's to have a temp probe in the proper spot. I wouldn't charge if there is any chance that your pack is below 0 degC.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 06:31 PM   #25
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

I agree, it is a real shame though. The cost difference between a correctly placed sensor and one just taped to the outside of a cell is minimal if anything. Drop in batteries, whether they be 12v, 24v, 48v, whatever, are now mature enough that correct low temperature charging cutoff should not be an issue. It is a very poor manufacturer that still doesn't implement it correctly.
Old 02-03-2022, 08:50 PM   #26
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thermal sensor placement could [from my thinking, but correct me if i'm wrong!] would need at least 2 sensors. Battery cools from the outside in and warms the same way unless one is using it heavily. So a sensor in the middle of the packs/plates only tells core temperature. The outside cells could be WAY warmer or colder depending on which way the ambient temp is headed.
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 12:23 AM   #27
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Yep. Many BMS's will allow you to connect two or even more sensors.
Old 02-07-2022, 11:11 AM   #28
LakePlacidGolfer
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

After being told by Extreme Team they would send installation and BMS instructions on Jan 23, I received an email from Blake Sherrouse on Feb 2nd. In the email, he apologized for the delay in getting me the instructions and included the attached PDF document.

The PDF has the title: 48 Volt Lithium Battery Installation, 2014+ Club Car Precedent and Onward with shunt connection

I have a 2013 Club Car Precedent and the battery does not have a shunt connection.

On page 4 of the PDF, there is a section on the Battery Management System (BMS). The instructions say to download the SMART BMS app, but my lithium does not connect to this app. This section of the PDF also states to download the guide on how to use the app at www.extemeteamcarts.com/BMSdownload, which is a dead link.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf INST 48V_A [5749].pdf (1.78 MB, 0 views)
LakePlacidGolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 08:18 PM   #29
LakePlacidGolfer
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Brought the six used lead acid 8v batteries (Trojans that were 5 years old) to a local battery shop and got $8 each ($48 total).
LakePlacidGolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 11:23 PM   #30
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Wow. Sold mine this past spring for 25$ can each.
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
extremeteam, lithium, precedent
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car