lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-17-2022, 09:21 PM   #1
MSDiesel1700
Not Yet Wild

Default Club car Diesel Side by Side dead after washing!

Brand new to this forum and new to side by sides/carts. Hope someone may have some advice.
I might give too much info but here it goes.
I just bought a 2018 Diesel Club Car Carryall 1700. It has 780 hours on it. It was cranking and running fine when I got it. Friday I decided to wash some of the caked up mud and dirt off. sprayed under body, engine compartment and radiator area under hood. Tried to keep water off electrical as much as possible. Temps here got down below freezing Saturday night and when I went out yesterday, it would not crank. It wont do anything! Turn the key and nothing. Battery is charged (12.8 Volts). I was going to spray de-greaser on the engine so the last time it was running I cranked it while spraying the engine compartment and then shut it off after about 10 minutes just to get warm for the de-greaser (which I didn't do). Any ideas on where I need to start?
MSDiesel1700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-17-2022, 11:17 PM   #2
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Default Re: Club car Diesel Side by Side dead after washing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSDiesel1700 View Post
...when I went out yesterday, it would not crank. It wont do anything! Turn the key and nothing. Battery is charged (12.8 Volts). ... Any ideas on where I need to start?
Time to break out your multimeter and start checking your wiring to see what is getting power and what is not. It would be helpful if you have a wiring diagram that you can follow.

You say you have 12.8 volts at your battery. Do you have voltage also at your starter switch? If so, does this voltage transfer to your starter solenoid when you turn the key? Are you getting voltage to the main positive cable of your starter? Before checking this, also check the fuse box ... make sure it is dry and all fuses are intact.

Sounds like you got some water into something that did not want to get wet. Evaporation is your friend right now. If you can, park this cart in a heated garage and use a heater, hair blower or even compressed air to get all your electrical components dried up.
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 11:52 PM   #3
MSDiesel1700
Not Yet Wild

Thanks ThreeCW.
Fuses in the box are all in tact. There are three relays in that box also that appear to be dry. Unfortunately I can't get the cart into the garage to let it dry!
I pulled the key switch and checked it for continuity and it appears to check out (If I did it correctly).
I'll check voltage at the switch, solenoid, and starter tomorrow. I did check to see if I was getting voltage to the red wire going into my key switch and it was 5.4 volts. I'll double check that tomorrow. Should I have the same 12+ volts at the key switch, solenoid, and starter?
I'm kind of new to all of this so please forgive that I may be asking some basic questions about how to do some of these checks.
Old 01-18-2022, 12:49 AM   #4
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Do you have wiring diagram for your cart? If so, please post it and perhaps others more familiar with a cart like this might be able to help out.

You may have to contact Club Car to get a wiring diagram for your particular model.

Without looking at a your wiring diagram (I looked online and could not find one), I would think you should have full battery voltage (12.8 v) or close to it at the starter key switch, starter solenoid (when you turn the starter key) and at the starter main positive terminal ... 5.4 volts does not sound right to me at your key switch.

You should also check any ground terminals to ensure they are in direct connection to your battery either by checking resistance to the negative battery terminal and checking for full voltage to the positive battery terminal. Anything less than full battery voltage would likely indicate a bad ground.

If you can't dry out the electrical components in a dry building, take a hair blower to the cart and try to get any and every electrical component dried out.
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 03:35 PM   #5
MSDiesel1700
Not Yet Wild

Ended up working late and didn't get to mess with the cart yesterday. I'll try drying the electrical components today with a hair dryer or heat gun and I will make those voltage checks you suggested.

I've been looking for a wiring diagram and have not been able to find anything online.
I'll post the results this evening.
Old 01-21-2022, 12:40 AM   #6
MSDiesel1700
Not Yet Wild

I re checked voltage at the key switch and got basically nothing (see picture), I got no voltage at the starter main. And I couldn't get to the solenoid. The other pic is voltage at my accessory plug (12.7 v). It's apparently hot even without the switch on. Since I have nothing on the red wire at the switch, if I jump 12 volts from the accessory plug over to the red wire that goes to the key switch, should the cart crank using the key? Or should I not try that?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cc volt1.jpg (17.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg cc volt2.jpg (18.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-21-2022, 03:37 AM   #7
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

My first suggestion would be to trace that power feed for the Ign switch back to source to find where it is losing power.

Have you physically tested all the fuses or just done a visual inspection? ideally you need a diagram but obviously they are not easily obtainable.

Keep us posted with what you find and we can help.

I dont recommend jumping from the accessory plug, but maybe a fused wire directly from the battery? I wonder if there are safety switches involved in the ignition circuit to prevent it being started in gear? maybe this could be the issue but I would have thought it would immobilise crank, not the whole ignition circuit.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 05:04 PM   #8
MSDiesel1700
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the reply Cartmaster.
I tested the fuses that I could find. In the fuse/relay box close to the battery there were 2-30A, 1-20A, 1-10A. And 1-25A that I just happened to see under the hood. All checked out for continuity.
I'll see if I can trace that key switch power feed.

Not sure how the safety switches are wired but I see there is a safety switch at the gear shift. That one may be to prevent the cart from starting if it's in gear.
Old 01-30-2022, 11:49 PM   #9
MSDiesel1700
Not Yet Wild

I tried Cartmaster's suggestion to jump the switch from a fused connection. I used a 25A fused wire. It was connected from a battery pack directly to the hot (red) wire going into the back of my key switch. The cart cranked and operated normally. All accessories worked as they should, So I'm guessing my problem is somewhere along the hot wire coming into my switch. Any ideas?
Also, if I can't find the issue, can I just rewire the switch directly to my battery with a fuse in the wire or should it be rewired to somewhere else? The way I had it rigged today, if I disconnected the battery pack from the hot wire on the switch it would kill the cart.
Old 01-30-2022, 11:58 PM   #10
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

I would strongly suggests tracing back the ignition feed to find the fault. At least you have proved the issue is with the power feed to the ignition switch, as everything works fine with the jump wire. I have known this issue to be just a corroded connection at the battery or from the starter constant live. Some machines have a fused wire link instead of a fuse at these two points. Difficult to find if you don't know what you are looking for. Without a wire diagram I can't really help much more.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carryall, club car, diesel, no crank, no start
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car