lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-01-2022, 07:02 AM   #1
Parachini
Not Yet Wild

Default Does it matter if I put a newer model charger into my 94 ezgo txt

I bought the wrong charger for my 94 ezgo marathon. I’m trying to get it running but the charger I bought has a reed switch on it that my older model doesn’t have a place for. Does this matter? Because I’m wondering if this may be causing the cart not to run. I’d rather not buy another charger and plug if I don’t have to.
Parachini is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-01-2022, 08:10 AM   #2
Esteban_Escobar
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Does it matter if I put a newer model charger into my 94 ezgo txt

The reed switch it a safety mechanism to prevent you from driving off while its plugged in and your cart isn't wired for one. I know there is a way to bypass the reed switch on carts that use them, but I don't know if you can use a charger that has a reed switch connector on a cart that was not designed for it. I'm sure someone else here can answer that.

I can tell you one thing however - a good quality charger is a wise investment. I have a '92 Marathon and after trying a couple cheaper chargers I decided to suck it up and buy a Lester Summit II charger for around $400. Its about as modern as you can get - automatically detects if you have a 36v or 48v system, quick charges if needed and then switches to a trickle charge.

Is there a reason you want to hang on to the charger you have? Can you return or exchange it? There are some cheapo chargers out there but you know the old saying - cry now or cry later. A more advanced charger will not just charge your batteries, it will also maintain them and make them last longer. You can buy a cheap charger to save money now, but don't be surprised when you need to replace your batteries in 2-3 years. With proper maintenance you can get 7-10 years out of one set of batteries.
Esteban_Escobar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charger, not starting, reed switch
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO