lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-22-2022, 06:24 PM   #91
jerrygallow92
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 2021 icon i40 with Roy pow lithium battery locks up

Reading through this thread has made me a little nervous to drive my cart. In my opinion, even those of us who haven't done a lithium upgrade are at risk (admittedly smaller though) because a BMS event isn't the only thing that could cause power to get cut to the EMB.

- The relay that controls the EMB could fail
- Wire insulation could get rubbed through over time and cause a short
- The insulation on the coil of magnet wire inside the EMB itself will eventually fail
- The factory fuse between the battery and the controller that could blow
- A passenger could turn the key to off (intentionally or unintentionally) while the cart is moving

I could go on.

It think a better approach to mitigating the risk of an unintended lock up is to look at modifying or replacing the EMB itself with one that clamps with less force, so that it has a braking effect but does not lock up solid. Maybe replacing the springs inside with weaker ones, or partially tightening the release screws so that the friction plate cannot move completely against the disc? That way if/when one of the above happens, it's not catastrophic. Locked up rear wheels at high speed are very dangerous because they will always cause the vehicle to rotate. Skidding wheels want to lead.

The electric EZGO RXVs also use a motor brake. Does anyone know if similar accidents have happened with them? I wonder if there's something about their design that prevents something like this from happening.
jerrygallow92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-02-2022, 04:02 PM   #92
fsu1tm
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed4life View Post
Tested @ ~35mph, took a lot of nerve, but turns out it works just as it did in the driveway. Have been working on minimizing current draw more than anything over the past week. I now have it down to 3ma from the cart and 20ma from the onboard device battery (idle). Have a few more bits on the way that will hopefully get the onboard battery current down below 10ma at idle and be more efficient while charging (those clunky 40A automotive style relays were all I had to use until my new charge controller comes in and I can use low voltage relays for that job).
fixed4life: Did you ever get this working so that you can share with others? I'd love to add an EMB fix to my cart. There are a lot of things I really like about my I60 but the thought of a locked up EMB is not one of them.
fsu1tm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 05:27 PM   #93
Chris4851
Not Yet Wild

Also curious on the status of this. The thread is very interesting. I have a lithium battery pack and experienced my first BMS power loss trip. I was driving with 4 people in the cart going up a hill around 27mph, battery was around 50%, it was a hot day and cart was baking in sun for hours. I suspect the BMS tripped due to heat, either way it tripped. Once the cart BMS tripped the entire cart lost power obviously, the electric brake instantly engaged and locked up the rear tires as I can screeching to a stop. The magnetic brake held very strong and did not break.

I now am very interested in adding a “UPS” for the EMB.
Chris4851 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
icon, lithium, wheels lock
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon