lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-01-2010, 11:03 PM   #1
IRCJB
Getting Wild

Default Tire size, how much is too much for off roading?

I've got a "cart" for lack of a better term.
EZ GO 295CC
How much tire can I put on it, before off road performance falls off too much to be practical?

I have a set of 26" available for use, but it looks like most people stop at 23".

This isn't a neighborhood cruiser. I'm looking for passage through soft sand, in & out of ruts, sticky mud, cross ditches, over brush, fallen tree trunks, Etc..... real off road.

I just don't want to get too much tire under there and wind up with a nutless buggy.

I'm willing to do the short TC belt or other torque mods as long as they aren't pricey. Speed is not majorly important as terrain dictates speed more often than not.

Clearance won't be an issue as this is basically a scratch build.... and an ugly one at that. No body & suspension to fit whatever size tire I want.

I'm open to moving up to a BB if the right engine presents itself, but for now, what can my 295CC handle?

On a side note; how much HP can the TC and axle take under stress of real off roading before I have to worry about this thing puking parts out the side of brand new "inspection hole" in the case?
IRCJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-02-2010, 05:33 AM   #2
arcitech
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Tire size, how much is too much for off roading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRCJB View Post
I've got a "cart" for lack of a better term.
EZ GO 295CC
How much tire can I put on it, before off road performance falls off too much to be practical?

I have a set of 26" available for use, but it looks like most people stop at 23".

This isn't a neighborhood cruiser. I'm looking for passage through soft sand, in & out of ruts, sticky mud, cross ditches, over brush, fallen tree trunks, Etc..... real off road.

I just don't want to get too much tire under there and wind up with a nutless buggy.

I'm willing to do the short TC belt or other torque mods as long as they aren't pricey. Speed is not majorly important as terrain dictates speed more often than not.

Clearance won't be an issue as this is basically a scratch build.... and an ugly one at that. No body & suspension to fit whatever size tire I want.

I'm open to moving up to a BB if the right engine presents itself, but for now, what can my 295CC handle?

On a side note; how much HP can the TC and axle take under stress of real off roading before I have to worry about this thing puking parts out the side of brand new "inspection hole" in the case?
Just like a 4WD Jeep, you need to decide on the limits you want to reach. You can make a cart do any one thing great but you will sacrafice performance in other areas.

1. Bigger tires need more power to turn them, especially in sand or mud. They weigh more so you need to factor that into the suspension and total weight of the cart. Just like a 4X4 if you want bigger tires to clear obstacles or get through mud, then you need to consider changing the rear gear ratio to support the size of the tires.

2. If you are serious about "off road" in a golf cart, think about what a cart is designed for...smooth grassy golf courses! Not many people use 2WD for heavy duty off road fun (Sand Rails and such are an exception.). If you build your own suspension, you can get over logs and ruts and other obstacles, but you will hit the wall when you need more power. Your 295 and a belt drive are not going to get you through the mud bogs pushing big mud tires. That is why the Big Block section is so popular on this forum. If you keep the stock engine, you will come to a point of diminished returns on power output vs. money spent.

3. As for the axle, most can take up to 100ft/lbs of input torque at the shaft. Some people have run much more power through them with no new inspection holes, they are pretty tough axles. Proper oil levels, good seals and keeping the vent clear and clean will usually keep your rear axle working long after the cart has died.
arcitech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 06:17 AM   #3
ez go go
Doin' the Wild Thang

E-Z-GO

Welcome to Buggies Gone Wild!!
ez go go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 07:21 AM   #4
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

26s are power sucking big, with looks and coolness aside, I would go with narrow 22s to get where your going with 9 hp.
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 08:11 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The 9 hp motor will be a disappointment off road. I am running 25s with 25 hp and it is good enough with one person in it .... so since $ is a concern, just build it in stages. Start with some 22s on aluminum wheels and get a 28 degree clutch, new. Hope this helps
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 12:43 PM   #6
IRCJB
Getting Wild

So is 23" the "breaking point" as far as torque goes?

I can go 23" but I'll have to scare up another pair of steel IH Cub Cadet wheels.
If that's the case, I'll be running 23X10.50X12. Will that keep enough testicular fortitude in the drivetrain?

Absolute coolness in the tire dept. has been set aside as I would like to break loose rather than bog out.

Maybe I'll build for 26"; so it will be an easy swap if the BB materializes.

Is the short belt and other easy TC mods a worthwhile venture in this case?
IRCJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 01:32 PM   #7
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Old 07-02-2010, 01:34 PM   #8
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Here is what your 23x10.50x12s with a 5" lift would look like...
http://www.frontiernet.net/~irishhills/06-1.JPG

another view...
http://www.frontiernet.net/~irishhills/06-3.JPG

Works for me.
Old 07-02-2010, 01:37 PM   #9
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

oops...keep hitting quote instead of edit.
Old 07-02-2010, 02:53 PM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

PErsonally, I have yet to meet the 9 hp motor that can spin 23s in the sand or uphill for that matter. I think you are setting yourself up for some disappointment but lets hear from others who are hill climbing with a stock 9 hp motor, 36 degree clutch and 23s ......
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO