lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-12-2010, 09:00 AM   #1
sharse36
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default 1987 ezgo with a 1988 carb on it

I have a 1987 ez go maraton that i just rebuilt the top end. It starts and runs good but when you slow down and get back on the gas it dies out the in about 15 sec it comes back to life. I have had the carb of 3 times and cleaned it good and still the same problem. I have found that if I run it a half choke it does not do it as bad. I found i have a 1988 card on it would that make a difference or not?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001 (2).JPG (166.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 007 (2).JPG (163.8 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 006 (2).JPG (166.1 KB, 11 views)
sharse36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-12-2010, 10:08 AM   #2
Pocono Country Boy
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1987 ezgo with a 1988 carb on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharse36 View Post
I have a 1987 ez go maraton that i just rebuilt the top end. It starts and runs good but when you slow down and get back on the gas it dies out the in about 15 sec it comes back to life. I have had the carb of 3 times and cleaned it good and still the same problem. I have found that if I run it a half choke it does not do it as bad. I found i have a 1988 card on it would that make a difference or not?
I'm sure there are folks who know more than me but here's what I've found: The 88 (and early 89) have a larger carb and different exhaust than the 87 and other PG2 engines. I can't say with any certainty, but it's possible that it's flooding the engine. I know from many years of playing with my 351 Windsor in my 4x4 pick-m-up that if you feed it too much fuel it will bog. I went from a 750 cfm dual feed double pumper that came with the truck to a 600 cfm with the vac secondary on it and it made a huge difference and completely eliminated that bogging when you put your foot into it.

Could be the same issue...
Pocono Country Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 01:34 PM   #3
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

The only thing that doesn't add up, PB, is that if he was running too rich then the half-choke wouldn't help, it would make things worse ... right?

Have you cleaned all the jets, etc (when you cleaned the carb)? The carb could be clean as a whistle but you could have a partially plugged jet, which would cause you to not have power unless you richened the mixture (as in running half-choke)

Also, just for grins, loosen the bolts holding the muffler to the exhaust pipe so there's a gap between them and try running the cart, if it runs better then your muffler could be in need of a BBQ (the oil/gas mixture tends to plug up the 2PG mufflers after awhile, if you literally "BBQ" your muffler by building a hot fire and setting the muffler in the coals for a half hour or so it will cause the residue/gunk to burn off and open up the muffler again - sounds hokey but it really works wonders to open up your exhaust and get the cart running right again, plus it's a LOT cheaper than a new muffler!)

If you don't believe me - here's a pic :)

BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 02:11 PM   #4
Pocono Country Boy
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewCityMusic View Post
The only thing that doesn't add up, PB, is that if he was running too rich then the half-choke wouldn't help, it would make things worse ... right?
Actually to clear a flooded engine a choke will help!
Pocono Country Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 04:46 PM   #5
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

I never thought of it that way, you're right ... Still, settin your muffler on fire has its' merits, both performance-wise AND given the resulting beers you have to drink while doing it :)
Old 09-13-2010, 10:04 AM   #6
sharse36
Gone Wild

Club Car

Took the carb of again and I can not get the jets out they are stuck. I tried to turn them and they stared to strip the top. Any idea on getting them out? Thanks
Old 09-13-2010, 04:08 PM   #7
sharse36
Gone Wild

Club Car

would my gas grill work to bbq the muffler or would a fire be better?
Old 09-14-2010, 02:01 PM   #8
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

when you BBQ a muffler, it tends to puke flames and oily residue out of both ends, so a bonfire is probably better (if for no other reason than to keep the grill clean) ... plus you can get a bonfire a lot hotter and keep it there longer (although once the crud starts to burn out of the muffler, it only takes about 15-20 minutes for it ALL to burn away)
Old 09-15-2010, 06:35 AM   #9
DEWDIGGLER
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

looks like the right carb to me.
should be a mikuni bv24
the bolt on the bottom of the carb that holds the bowl on is main jet that usually causes all the problems. take a piece of wire and clean it out real real good.

good luck, Dew
DEWDIGGLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO