lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-07-2011, 11:50 PM   #1
leeinaz
Not Yet Wild

Default Abnormal Tire Wear

I have a 2008 gas, RXV with Grassmaster 8 inch tires...just the front tires wore out in just a year of driving on paved roads. Air is 30 lbs........dealer checked alignment, said it was fine..He's at a loss to explain the wear...Any idea?

Also: what are the advantages, if any to going to 10 inch tires? Thanks!
leeinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-08-2011, 01:49 AM   #2
invalidsession
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Abnormal Tire Wear

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeinaz View Post
I have a 2008 gas, RXV with Grassmaster 8 inch tires...just the front tires wore out in just a year of driving on paved roads. Air is 30 lbs........dealer checked alignment, said it was fine..He's at a loss to explain the wear...Any idea?

Also: what are the advantages, if any to going to 10 inch tires? Thanks!
"Grassmaster" might be a clue here. Soft tread for turf do you think ? 30 psi is also very high, I run mine at 15psi. See if they sell "Asphalt" or "Concretemasters".

Chris.
invalidsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:31 AM   #3
Scooter B
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Nailed it! Soft rubber compound and high PSI will get toasted on pavement. Look for a DOT street tire.

Advantage of 10" rim = will work with a lift kit and disk brakes, huge selection of wheels if you are looking for "style", less sidewall on a standard size tire means less sidewall flex = more stability at speed and better cornering, and a larger selection of tires as well. Check out some of the site sponsors, choices are nearly endless!

Welcome to the madness!
Scooter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 01:40 PM   #4
leeinaz
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter B View Post
Nailed it! Soft rubber compound and high PSI will get toasted on pavement. Look for a DOT street tire.

Advantage of 10" rim = will work with a lift kit and disk brakes, huge selection of wheels if you are looking for "style", less sidewall on a standard size tire means less sidewall flex = more stability at speed and better cornering, and a larger selection of tires as well. Check out some of the site sponsors, choices are nearly endless!

Welcome to the madness!
Thanks for the responses---- -the Greenmaster is DOT rated. For some reason the dealer is insisting 30 lbs is appropriate.

As far as 10 inch tires--do the same benefits described above exist if I don't do a lift kit?
Old 09-08-2011, 01:49 PM   #5
rib33024

rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 02:29 PM   #6
Scooter B
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

No lift kit needed, same will apply. Some lift kits will not work with 8" rims, they will rub the spindle in the front
Old 09-08-2011, 02:39 PM   #7
invalidsession
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Thanks for the responses---- -the Greenmaster is DOT rated. For some reason the dealer is insisting 30 lbs is appropriate.

As far as 10 inch tires--do the same benefits described above exist if I don't do a lift kit?
I should have added that I run 10" rims and my cart is almost exclusively used on the golf course where slightly less pressure helps the comfort level of the lower profile tires. Naturally, being on grass 95% of the time, the sidewall issues are minimised. If I were on the street I'd probably go to 20psi. I believe that the sidewall psi information on tires is the max inflation pressure and not necessarily the recommended pressure. After all, many vehicles of differing weights run on the same tires and they have differing manufacturer recommendations for pressure / vehicle.

Chris.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:53 PM   #8
Scooter B
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Mine say max operating pressure = 5 PSI They are a little squishy at 5, I run my fronts at 9 and my rears at 11. (Max 36 PSI to set bead)

At 15 PSI, they baloon up to 23's and will rattle your teeth out going down the street!

Excell Sahara II
Old 09-08-2011, 05:24 PM   #9
leeinaz
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter B View Post
Mine say max operating pressure = 5 PSI They are a little squishy at 5, I run my fronts at 9 and my rears at 11. (Max 36 PSI to set bead)

At 15 PSI, they baloon up to 23's and will rattle your teeth out going down the street!

Excell Sahara II
My Greenmaster DOT have a max of 35 lbs. The dealer recommends 30 lbs and the tires wore out in a year..but..they wore out evenly ... each threads wear indicator was visible. If it had too much air, I think the center treads would have wore out first.

Regarding switch to 10 inch, I should mention that I have high speed gears..not looking for more speed, just more stability.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:39 PM   #10
invalidsession
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
My Greenmaster DOT have a max of 35 lbs. The dealer recommends 30 lbs and the tires wore out in a year..but..they wore out evenly ... each threads wear indicator was visible. If it had too much air, I think the center treads would have wore out first.

Regarding switch to 10 inch, I should mention that I have high speed gears..not looking for more speed, just more stability.
I'm astonished that after reading all the conventional wisdom posted here that your not sharing a padded cell with your "dealer".

Chris
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO